In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)luchador masculineluchadora feminine(boxer) boxeador masculine(boxer) púgil masculine(boxer) pugilista masculineshe's a born fighter — es una luchadora nata
- He was without a doubt one of the most exciting fighters to watch during this time period.
- It had been a large contest of fighters from all over to see who truly was the greatest fighter.
- I am sure he is enjoying this season more than last season because Michael is a fighter, and fighters need competition.
- I'm quite a fighter but when depression hits it is really, really difficult.
- The referee turned one last time to face the last competitor, the dark fighter from before.
- Fact is, these Republicans in Congress are fighters and the Democrats are weak.
- He is described by Ben Anderson as both a slapstick character and a strong fighter.
- Like Seabiscuit, all three men are fighters, and the horse with heart appeals to their spirit.
- It would be a jabbing contest with both fighters almost a mirror of one another.
- Boxing has been through periods when it seems all the top fighters are ducking each other, but this isn't one of those periods.
- The character of the young fighter is played quite wonderfully by Lucy McLellan.
- He had not seen his beloved daughter in the mess of blood-splattered fighters.
- It meant something to be the champ to all four fighters and none of them took the easy way out.
- For that alone we bear those Republican fighters of eight decades ago a debt.
- The lion was normally a competent fighter, but he had been taken totally off-guard.
- The fighters are grappling on the floor, tearing at each other, screaming abuse and growling like animals.
- We're brought up to think of boxing as a fair contest because the fighters weigh the same.
- There was a loud explosion sound and it sent the two fighters flying backwards down the hall.
- Here's the reality check; Sugar Ray Robinson is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the history of the sport.
- True, but as everybody agrees, Tiger is a fighter and 68 is no bad way to start out in defence of his title.
- She knew how easy it would be for him to just die right then and there, but she also knew he was a determined fighter.
- The former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world has more often been termed not a boxer, but a fighter.
- As well as being competent fighters, they were trained to use their magic to block magic in others.
- Ten minutes later Robert had nearly beaten one of the toughest aquatic fighters in the world.
- Fourteen of his other victims could not stand the brutal mauling by the fighter nicknamed the Slashing Tiger.
- Sometimes a fighter competing at home feels more pressure than the opponent dealing with the hostile crowd.
- For that reason many fighters ducked him, and full credit to Mosley for taking the chance.
- We passed a checkpoint manned by opposition fighters and dozens of Jeeps packed with soldiers.
(plane)caza masculineavión de combate masculine
- It looked like a bomber group had gone off course, because there looked to be no fighters to contend with.
- It had the most advanced fighter and bomber aircraft and the best trained crews.
- He climbed up the ladder and looked proudly upon small fighters flying in and out of the docking bay.
- Despite the fact he was flying a Republic fighter he still didn't truly feel he'd have a chance.
- She flew through a building that had a hole in it and lost the fighter squadron that was attacking her.
- An aircraft can be designed as a fighter plane or a jumbo jet.
- Similarly, the commander of a fighter squadron must be a credible fighter pilot.
- The fighter pilots don't need to see the smugglers to mark them with their radar.
- His painting decorated the noses of many fighters and bombers during World War Two.
- He went to sleep listening to fighters flying back and forth overhead.
- Five fighters and two bombers were assigned a mission to drop propaganda leaflets on the city.
- Earlier the same day another pilot from the base had flown the same fighter and had not encountered any problems.
- His fighter group transitioned to escort duty after acquiring the new aircraft.
- Low-flying fighter and fighter-bomber training goes on all the time over the Highlands.
- However, it was the fighter aircraft that was to really suffer from this policy.
- In his flight suit, flight cap and dark sunglasses, he was the classic picture of a fighter pilot.
- After a minute of flying, their fighters suddenly turned the opposite direction.
- Jack then flipped on a small screen and watched the enemy fighters bear down on the Lexington.
- If you're Uncle Sam, do you want this character flying your expensive fighter jets?
- This information would give the Royal Air Force an early warning of an attack by enemy fighters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.