In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Photographypelícula (fotográfica) femininea (roll of) film — un rollo / un carrete (de fotos)
- fast film — película rápida
- Since slide film does not take exposure inaccuracies in its stride, you take every shot three times.
- The method creates a digital image that is vivid and precise: a photograph that requires neither film nor camera.
- The click he'd heard was the camera running out of film, and shutting it's self off.
- This from a man who shot many tens of thousands of sheets of film in his career.
- Part of the preparation is to make sure you are loaded with film and all the exposure settings on your camera are correct.
- I have the habit of leaving film in my camera until I've forgotten what was on it.
- So here we are again at the end of another year and several rolls of film through the camera.
- After you remove the protective material, the back side is shiny and looks like camera film.
- There's no film in the camera, just numbers, so you can turn it on and do whatever you want for as long as you want.
- One year down the track, that has changed and I have now spent a few days and a roll of film with this camera.
- I actually prefer to use colour film with the pinhole camera because it just looks so nice.
- On the way back to my grandparent's house, I bought some film for the camera I kept in my car.
- The keenest cameraman of them all, who we thought must have shot at least 200 frames, admitted he had no film in his camera.
- They were just about to leave when the photographer realised that he had not put any film into the camera.
- Liz just laughed, made sure there was film still in the camera and took the picture.
- All you need is an album, an instant camera, rolls of film and painting materials if you are that way inclined.
- A security guard destroyed a roll of film and broke her camera attempting to remove the battery.
- Wearily, she checked her camera for film and took a few pictures.
- He primarily shoots outdoor landscapes and scenics, using both film and digital cameras.
- As she tried to fit another roll of film into the camera, sudden loud shots were heard.
- Despite still selling film and cameras, the company began to become debt ridden.
1.2(movie)película femininefilm masculinefilme masculine(critic/producer) cinematográfico(producer/critic) de cinewho's in the film? — ¿quién trabaja / actúa en la película?
- she's made a successful career in films — ha hecho carrera en el cine
- the film industry — la industria cinematográfica
- film library — cinemateca
- film music — música cinematográfica / de cine / de películas
- film première / premiere — estreno cinematográfico
- film production — producción cinematográfica / de películas
- film rights — derechos cinematográficos
- film studio — estudio cinematográfico / de cine
- film version — versión cinematográfica
- The film's title is a reference to the sheet of nine rare postage stamps, which they see as their ticket to the top.
- The match was organised to raise welfare fund for the Bollywood film industry's technicians and stuntmen.
- He wrote several books on film and art, notably Dada: Art and Anti-Art.
- The film industry has blamed the police for their failure in nabbing the culprits.
- Cox rather endearingly refers to film as ‘the movies’ with barely hidden schoolboy zest.
- A short documentary film has already been made about his story.
- It is impossible to watch this film without being pierced by their clear, small voices.
- The kids in this film don't seem like children.
- She even had a clear idea of the type of film she wanted to make.
- Today, traditional art forms are practised alongside painting, photography, theatre and film.
- No-one, in UK broadsheets at least, writes terribly convincingly about film at the moment.
- On closer inspection, he found it was a Bollywood film crew.
- Long a film buff, Verna says she's always maintained broad artistic interests.
- His analysis proves to be both entertaining and enlightening for film buffs and academics.
- Apart from watching the documentary film was there any other research that you felt was necessary?
- Having read a lot of comments about the film, one thing is clear: I need to see this film again, and soon.
- It was like watching a horror film unfold.
- This is a delightful family film with layers of humour designed to appeal to all age groups.
- In August and September the concept for my film became clear and it was completed in the autumn.
- The festival closes on Sunday and some of these films don't show after tonight.
- So far I have only been able to view the film on an American DVD.
- There is a clear warning in this film; we may be headed in the same direction.
- The film has clear mass appeal in spite of the intellectual aspirations.
- The Danish director's films seem to inspire either love or loathing.
- Meanwhile, the boundaries of acceptability are being pushed hard in the current round of film festival screenings.
- The respondent is self-employed as a contractor to the Toronto area film production industry.
- And there are lots of people who will disagree that any one of the films by the following filmmakers failed.
- He has recently written and directed his first feature film.
- When we made this film we were very clear that we were not going to go that route.
- In the first shot of this film, the camera moves slowly down a cross.
- Approximately 113 Australian fiction films were produced in the years from 1906 to 1914.
1.3(cinematic art)cine masculine
2.1(thin covering)película femininea film of dust — una película / capa de polvo
- The darkness appeared as a thick, black fog across the motorway, a blue film of light surrounding it.
- But look closer and the clear packaging has an unusual matte film, is slightly cloudy and slightly sticky to touch.
- These fissures can be sealed with a resin film to protect the surface from decay.
- She looked up at him with a disconcerted, unfocused gaze, her normally clear ice blue eyes covered with a dazed, cloudy film.
- Dust films are a light powder of clay and silt-sized particles that adhere to rough surfaces and rock fractures.
- Until recently, techniques for determining atomic structure haven't been agile enough to test liquids, except as very thin films.
- Now that she was closer she could see a fine, milky-white film covering both eyes.
- We've been dusting the last 24 hours because we found everything covered with a light film of dust.
- The choice of solvent mixture gives a good adhesion to the glass surface and results in thin films covering the glass plates.
- The first coat should be allowed to dry overnight to give clear pink film.
- Now think of the same image, but this time the chocolate is covered by a white film on its surface.
2.2(wrap)film transparente masculineenvoltura transparente feminine
- The latest version, known by the brand name Superglass, has two layers of clear film between the panes.
- Leave to rise on oiled baking sheets, covered with oiled clear film, for 15 minutes.
- Window security film can be clear or tinted to limit transmission of infrared or visible light.
- The moist blots were wrapped in clear plastic film and scanned on a conventional flat bed scanner.
- Cut the beef fillet into thin slices and, layered between sheets of plastic film, beat until extremely thin.
- He uses a clear plastic film over seeds or young plants to generate more heat.
- However, a less costly alternative is to have a clear plastic film laminated onto the glass.
- The samples were arranged as flat as possible and wrapped in a single layer of thin polyethylene film.
1(scene/event/activity) filmar(novel/play/story) llevar al cine
1rodarfilmarfilming starts tomorrow — el rodaje / la filmación empieza mañana
- opera films badly — la opera no se presta para ser llevada al cine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.