In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(last)últimothe final day/attempt — el último día/intento
- the final scene — la última escena
- final exam — examen final
- a final demand for payment — un último aviso de pago
- I'd like to make one final point: ... — por último quisiera señalar que ...
- He closed his eyes and allowed himself one final rest before he attempted to move again.
- It was a match in which the result was in doubt until the final delivery.
- For us voters we have now made up our mind and reached the final days of decision.
- The final review allows voters to correct such errors - but they must notice them first.
- The final deal allowed them to get this hall for less money than they anticipated.
- The group looked to the door as it slid open, allowing entry to the final expected guests.
- This was an exciting game of football with the result in doubt up until the final whistle.
- Even Terry Pratchett says he writes a sort of sketchy version of his final scene in the early stages of his first draft.
- The hanging chamber has a small Buddhist statue in one corner to allow the condemned a final prayer.
- Even funnier was a line which was cut from the final version.
- Once again, the result remained in doubt until the final minutes of injury time.
- Granted, the contest was a gripping one which was never beyond doubt until the final whistle.
- The visit is the final event of the season in the Parish Music series of concerts in country churches.
- They must have allowed him one final visit now his fate had been officially decided.
- Having made the decision, the final frontier seemed determined to beat us despite our best efforts.
- Just when it looked like the fourth and no doubt final meeting was going to end without any plans in place, Barrett sprang to his feet.
- The last thing they needed was a dispute over his final resting place.
- The lift doors were still open, allowing you a final chance to change your mind, but as you went past them they closed.
- It was only when they saw the finished version in its final mix that they knew what they had got.
- What this enables me to do is to get words down in a way that's closer to the final version.
2(definitive)(result/score) finaland that's my final word on the subject — y no se hable más del asunto
- that's my final offer — es mi última oferta
- you can't go and that's final — no puedes ir y sanseacabó
- the judges' decision is final — la decisión del jurado es irrevocable
- The final goal is to allow students to order official documents via the internet.
- Although beaten by stronger opponents, they performed way better than the final scoreline.
- Lawmakers are required to reach a final decision within 15 days of receiving the request.
- Helping people overcome silence and move through that final stage of trauma is potentially empowering.
- It actually reported matters that the committee had not reached a final conclusion on.
- There have been calls on both sides of the death penalty debate to shorten the time taken to reach a final decision.
- What falls away is any notion of an uncontested, final, authorized reality.
- Additional perks could be won when final contracts were negotiated unit by unit.
- And this time supported by deeds that allow the neighbours to give Japan a final absolution.
- They were also given an explanation of the printing process from initial graphics through to the final design.
- And Max Flint reports live from Estonia as final preparations are underway.
- The hard work doesn't end once your divorce is final.
- Although the final result was in doubt up to the closing moments of the game.
- He said further advice would be taken before any final decision is reached by the executive.
- It is understood a final decision on the outcome of the objections will not be known for a number of months.
- Get a bit of proper closure and leave things on good, and final, terms.
- Ultimately, the examiners' marks are final and, at the moment, students can do little to challenge them.
- The editor's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Altogether, the case could continue for a additional two years before a final decision is reached.
- The final scoreline indicates a miss match but it was not quite that one-sided.
- The outcome in the final points, as well as in the two events, was new European records.
- At press time, the task force was scheduled to meet again to reach a final decision.
- He said that through the mechanism, any dispute would be resolved in stages before a final decision was made.
- At the time of writing, it is too early to know the final outcome of the process.
- A General Medical Council hearing was adjourned yesterday before a final conclusion was reached.
- But it must throw into doubt the ability of the tribunal to be a final arbitrator of disputes.
- The final phase will allow finishing touches to be applied to the scheme and any last-minute glitches to be ironed out.
- However, this effect is subsequently explored when final binding parameter estimates are made.
- The independent regulator is waiting for completion before reaching a final decision about the foundation status.
- Our clients clearly want the court hearing to reach a final outcome on all of the issues raised in their application.
- In the event, these were to make a decisive contribution to the final outcome of the Cold War.
- Few doubted the final result of the war, none could have predicted such a quick result.
- Two controversial refereeing decisions were to have a big bearing on the final outcome.
- The court, which sits in The Hague, is the final arena for settling disputes between nations.
- The head of department must make a final decision before any ruling by the disputes department goes into effect.
- Couples are allowed to divorce twice, and the third divorce is final.
- With neither side able to stamp their authority in the crucial midfield area the final score was in doubt right to the end.
- When final grade is achieved, can temporary grass be immediately planted?
- Granada would make a final decision when the outcome of the formal regulatory review process was known.
- Thus far, no final conclusion has been reached, and the wrangling continues.
1Games Sportfinal feminineto go through to the finals — pasar a la(s) final(es)
2finals pl(examinations)exámenes finales
3also final editionJournalismúltima edición femininethe late-night final — la edición de última hora
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.