In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- More and more, this team looks capable of becoming a conference finalist.
- The other finalists, should England make it to the World Cup will be either Spain or Germany.
- The six finalists are design graduates and are creating gardens based on design concepts for city gardens.
- He takes man and dog to a local show where, to his delight, they win the breed class and are finalists in Best In Show.
- It was far from the preserve of the independently educated - and two finalists go to state schools.
- Thankfully things got better as the worst of the finalists were gradually sent packing.
- A picture framer who set up his own business in Broadway has been named a finalist in a national competition for the third year running.
- Another look at the past winners and finalists of the Champions League shows that the system does indeed seem to work.
- Each of the finalists in the dance competition won a pair of cinema tickets and a goody bag.
- First questions came from former Olympic champion and defeated finalist - US swimmer Janet Evans.
- She will almost certainly make England's team for Manchester 2002 and is a potential finalist.
- The three will include both finalists and the winner of the qualifying final.
- The 40 finalists were divided into teams and they were given various challenges.
- In a Canadian university, a male and a female candidate were finalists for a tenurable position in philosophy.
- Nominations were made by their teachers and the finalists will be judged by the trustees of the fund.
- None of which is meant to diminish the achievements of the two finalists.
- Wake Forest, the other finalist in the players' recruitment, followed the same approach.
- Mr Shepherd has been a Student of the Year finalist for the past three years,
- He is a finalist for the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.
- A Rhodes Scholarship finalist, she will pursue a Ph.D. in Near Eastern studies at Berkeley.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.