- Pondering again the origin of the three marooned Douglas firs, I recalled once seeing, on a crisp fall day, a flock of Cassin's finches dismembering ripe subalpine fir cones while a steady rain of seeds fluttered to the ground.
- Sprinkle essential oils, orange and cinnamon perhaps, to a bowl of fir cones, Christmas tree cuttings and dried orange slices for a wonderful Christmas potpourri.
- While its needles (actually modified leaves) are still alive and fresh, we decorate the tree with colorful glass globes, tinsel, red winterberries from a deciduous holly, spruce and fir cones, and cotton to simulate snow.
- A player placed a fir cone against his ball to prevent the ball from moving when removing some other loose impediments.
- The barrels of the cannons on deck seem to have been given the form of giant fir cones.
- The game of Poohsticks was invented here by Winnie-the-Pooh and was first played by him and his friends Rabbit, Piglet, and Roo. They collected fir cones and then, standing on one side of the bridge, each dropped a cone into the water.