In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine alarma contra incendiosfeminine alarma
- He was also seen by a guest on the second floor, where the false fire alarm had been activated, but claimed he had been patrolling elsewhere.
- The classic myth, as described above, is that people exit immediately when they hear a fire alarm.
- Just a few weeks ago a fire alarm blew during one of my exams.
- The cost of installing a fire alarm is in the region of £600, a small investment that could save a life.
- He hadn't heard a fire alarm and was shocked to see the heavy smoke.
- The nearest fire department's response time to a fire alarm is at least 30 minutes.
- This time the ringing noise wasn't the fire alarm, but the dinner bell.
- That was when the idiots decided to test the fire alarm without the usual warning over the speakers.
- The first few people were leaving the building in response to the fire alarm.
- Last May, seven people died in a stampede following a false fire alarm.
- Staff first became aware of the blaze after smelling smoke in the restaurant and told people they had to leave when a fire alarm was activated.
- Hundreds of employees had to evacuate the School Place offices in Kirkwall on Thursday morning after a false fire alarm.
- The fire brigade was called to the scene by the warden of the flats after the blaze triggered a fire alarm.
- The longer the silence continued, the more I wanted to pull the fire alarm and run for the nearest exit.
- The fire alarm sounded at 12.33 am in the early hours of the Monday.
- He could feel the heat they generated and for a brief moment wondered how they hadn't set off the fire alarm.
- A single fire crew will be sent to incidents where an automatic fire alarm has gone off, rather than the three or more appliances currently sent.
- One girl bolted to the fire alarm and pulled it, setting the siren wailing and then sprinting for the door.
- The fire alarm deploys a curtain covering the paintings, and then activates the sprinklers.
- The offending fire alarm was now completely detached from the wall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.