In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine luciérnagamasculine bicho de luz River Platemasculine cocuyo
- We were guided as we went by millions of fireflies whose flashing marked the banks like landing lights on an airstrip.
- The firefly's light is only visible for an instant.
- The light from the firefly is an example of phosphorescence.
- Later lab experiments showed that by flashing an artificial light at a firefly you could speed up its rhythm, you could slow it down, make it flash a little later than it would otherwise.
- Triggered by dusk's fading daylight, male fireflies lift off into the air and begin their courtship.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.