In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Local firemen were called to the scene and took a number of hours to get the blaze under control.
- The driver was trapped inside and had to be rescued by firemen using cutting gear.
- Police said the former fireman awoke to find a young man rifling through his living room.
- How much does it cost to clean up ten fatal road crashes every day, and how many emergency workers - police, paramedics, firemen, doctors and nurses - are involved?
- His father is a fireman and his mother an adult education worker, and he has a four-year-old sister.
- Policemen all over the country and firemen are employees of governments.
- In France, three volunteer firemen died yesterday while fighting a blaze that engulfed a barn.
- Each year, firemen, forestry workers, civilians, Gardaí and sometimes soldiers are deployed for long periods in bringing outbreaks under control.
- A retired fireman put in £20,000 and a residents' group invested £5,000.
- Thousands of firemen, police, soldiers and volunteers sifted through the landscape of twisted metal and smashed concrete.
- The municipal fire department was called and the firemen battled in a fruitless attempt to control the blaze.
- He said an off-duty fireman immediately took command, marshalling helpers until paramedics arrived.
- They're being drawn to careers of service, as police or firemen, emergency health workers, teachers, counsellors, or in the military.
- Flames were shooting out through the first floor of the building when firemen arrived.
- Under the scheme, retained firemen answer medical emergency calls to deliver advanced first aid.
- Two firemen were injured during the rescue operation.
- Two fireman were struck by rocks hurled by children, some as young as 10.
- Staggering house prices are forcing qualified teachers, nurses, firemen and police officers to leave the borough because they cannot afford to buy in the area.
- The firemen arrived within minutes and managed to put out the fire quite quickly.
- In one week firemen were called to the block 13 times because of teenage mobs wrecking it.
- At least you found his machinery and equipment and the fireman building up his fire and steam for the heavy draw to come; but he was by himself.
- On the St Clair Avenue side of the yards, there is an old house, now used by the locomotive department as a bunk house for the locomotive drivers and firemen.
- He remained in New York state until 1859, when he went to New Orleans and got a job as fireman on a steamship.
- The fireman had to keep shoveling coal into the furnace which generated the steam to propel the train.
- Both the engineer and fireman of the train were killed instantly in the overturning of the giant locomotive.
3USMilitaryoficial de máquinas masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.