In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1chimenea femininehogar masculine
- On the ground floor the drawing room and dining room have open fireplaces while the first and second floor contain the five bedrooms.
- The room has a high vaulted ceiling and a raised fireplace with a marble hearth and brick surround.
- The room has a picture rail and the original fireplace with a mahogany surround.
- Both rooms have open fireplaces with tiled hearths and surrounds, as well as picture rails and ceiling coving.
- Many of the rooms have working window shutters and open fireplaces, retaining the house's original Georgian charm.
- Both feature high ceilings, the original coving and original fireplaces with mahogany surrounds.
- In my neighborhood, none of the fireplaces has dampers or chimneys.
- Across the hallway is a another room which has an open fireplace and bay window.
- There are two reception rooms located off the entrance hall, both with fireplaces with cast iron surrounds and timber floors.
- The focal point in this room is a raised fireplace with whitewashed brick surround.
- The front door opens onto the living room, which has an open fireplace and timber flooring.
- We were lying on my bed with mugs of hot chocolate, watching the fire in my bedroom fireplace.
- In the cities, people make small fires in their gardens or in open fireplaces.
- All she wanted was dinner at home, a fire in the fireplace and a bottle of wine to share.
- A fire sat in the fireplace, lighting the hut so that everything could be seen.
- Two further reception rooms both have open fireplaces, while the kitchen includes another more informal, dining area.
- The public areas have immense character, with heavily beamed ceilings and cosy open fireplaces, including an old cast iron range in the lounge.
- She pulled the blanket off, and saw that there was a fire in the fireplace of the cabin.
- We didn't have a fireplace and the only chimney on our roof fed straight into the oil burner.
- Other features include a modern fireplace with marble surround and ceiling coving.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.