In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Trees also provide shelter, shade, leaf mulch, fencing and firewood.
- After a couple of decades in one area, firewood was cut, game was hunted out, and farm fields were depleted.
- One of the clearest memories I have of my mother was one time when my brothers and sisters had returned from the forest after collecting firewood.
- The most devastating impact came from cutting trees for firewood and charcoal.
- Among the products currently manufactured are indoor and garden furnishings, charcoal and firewood.
- Ethiopia has an oil refinery, but derives most of its energy from firewood, charcoal, and dung.
- The soggy firewood was gathered, tents put up, and a line strung between trees to hang the wet gear to dry.
- But the weather did not let up and eventually the last piece of firewood was burnt and used up.
- Rivers froze and supplies of coal and firewood, already scarce over the autumn, were immobilized.
- A man was working in the woods collecting firewood when he came upon a snake wedged in the crevice of a tree.
- They have to go out every day and collect water and collect firewood.
- Seconds later, I heard a dull clunk as he placed the firewood on the floor.
- The smoke emanating from the firewood used for cooking infused a spirit of celebration into the atmosphere.
- As we were fairly late arriving, all the good camping spots were gone and so was all the firewood.
- When the wood has been neglected, it is made into barbeque charcoal and logs for firewood.
- For now, her family survives on seeds and grains, and selling firewood in the local market.
- The mother built the fire, the children kept the firebox filled, and the father cut the firewood.
- With the discovery of gold, mining became a major consumer of firewood and rough timber.
- Gorse and broom are used for cattle bedding and eucalyptus for firewood.
- Tree crops supply shade, fodder, leaf or bark mulch, firewood, shelter, soil protection and fencing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.