In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1en RU: hoguera con que se celebra el intento de volar el parlamento
- But it is getting harder for many grown-ups to stage a fireworks display on fireworks night, too.
- Safety regulations have taken the sparkle out of fireworks night.
- That way you should be able to enjoy fireworks night without ending up rushing your child to hospital.
- Fireworks Night is already past, but November will be remembered as the month when Rangers either went off like a damp squib or blazed like a rocket.
- Next club night is on Wednesday 3rd November and its Fireworks Night (I know its not really but its close!).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.