In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pelotón de fusilamiento masculine
- The American and Spanish ministers made unsuccessful appeals for postponement of her execution in Germany, and she was shot by a firing squad on October 12, 1915.
- The sentence of death is traditionally carried out by an army firing squad.
- I witnessed soldiers executing people by firing squad.
- They went through the farce of a court martial and were then shot by a firing squad.
- His fate, death by firing squad, would hardly seem a cause for celebration.
- Nearly everyone cheered as the firing squad refused to shoot the revolutionary sailors.
- Nine other Australians face death by firing squad after being detained last month at Bali airport with several bags of heroin allegedly strapped to their bodies.
- He returned to Naples, now in Bourbon hands, and was shot by firing squad.
- He could be sentenced to death by firing squad if he's convicted.
- But remembrance is not enough for the relatives of the British servicemen executed at dawn by firing squads.
- Believe it or not, death by hanging and firing squad are still legal in a few states.
- After a one-day trial in Ho Chi Minh City, an Australian citizen has been sentenced to death by firing squad in Vietnam for drug smuggling.
- The day after he was fired, the President was shot by the firing squad.
- Then the commander of the firing squad went forward and shot each in the forehead.
- The firing squad usually fires at least three shots - at the neck, waist and ankle, he said.
- Three weeks later, Cole was shot by a firing squad.
- The fate of the 306 British Empire soldiers executed by firing squad, mainly on the Western Front, had been one of the hidden tragedies of the First World War.
- Shortly before Christmas 1943 a young Scottish officer faced a Japanese firing squad in an anonymous execution ground in Hong Kong.
- If he is not given a pardon, he will be executed by a five-man firing squad.
- At the time, the only other methods in use in this country were the gas chamber, firing squad and gallows.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.