In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The water around a fish farm can become so heavily contaminated that no life can survive on the surrounding seabed.
- To start learning the business, he got a job with a fish farm.
- Susan's husband used to be a pig farmer, but he now has a fish farm, breeding koi carp.
- The shop sells quality exotic fish, which are hand picked from their fish farm.
- Experts will try to net all the native carp, bream and tench in the lake and take them to a fish farm before putting the poison into the water.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.