In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(professional)pescador masculinepescadora feminine
- Wouldn't it be nice if sport fishermen were able to drag up catches like that from our waters?
- We are all, of course, sport fishermen but there are times when the welfare of some local children has to take priority.
- At the time these fisherman were going out sports fishing with hand lines.
- The suggestion is that instead of fish, the fisherman himself has been caught in the net.
- Experts say increasing financial pressures are forcing fishermen to sell extra fish on the black market.
- The sons and daughters of fishermen and farmers are doctors, lawyers and engineers.
- As I gazed in the direction of his usual path, I saw fishermen bring back their catch of the day.
- After more than one hour both the fish and the fishermen were tired.
- A giant squid shocked the fisherman who caught it in his net off the coast of Vancouver Island.
- There are several different varieties and are a favourite of sport fishermen in those areas.
- That would drive prices down and encourage fishermen to catch more fish to make the same amount of money.
- For the local fishermen, however, fishing for the snappers is a way of life.
- However, the vast majority of bait fishermen will use fresh fish roe wrapped round the hook or sometimes put in small bags.
- There seemed to be no sense at all in importing supplies our own fishermen should have been catching.
- The perception of the fishermen was that the fish were still there to be caught.
- Prices of prawns are still low and supply is steady giving local fishermen a living.
- When fishermen caught species in their net that were over quota they had to throw them back into the sea.
- In the evening, when the sun went down, we decided to go fishing with the local fishermen.
- All over Europe fishing communities blame other fishermen for their problems.
- These seasonal fishermen trapped fish from the swollen rivers for fun as well as profit.
2(amateur)pescador masculinepescadora feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.