In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(professional)pescador masculinepescadora feminine
- We are all, of course, sport fishermen but there are times when the welfare of some local children has to take priority.
- When fishermen caught species in their net that were over quota they had to throw them back into the sea.
- That would drive prices down and encourage fishermen to catch more fish to make the same amount of money.
- Wouldn't it be nice if sport fishermen were able to drag up catches like that from our waters?
- The perception of the fishermen was that the fish were still there to be caught.
- The sons and daughters of fishermen and farmers are doctors, lawyers and engineers.
- All over Europe fishing communities blame other fishermen for their problems.
- Prices of prawns are still low and supply is steady giving local fishermen a living.
- At the time these fisherman were going out sports fishing with hand lines.
- A giant squid shocked the fisherman who caught it in his net off the coast of Vancouver Island.
- These seasonal fishermen trapped fish from the swollen rivers for fun as well as profit.
- In the evening, when the sun went down, we decided to go fishing with the local fishermen.
- Experts say increasing financial pressures are forcing fishermen to sell extra fish on the black market.
- For the local fishermen, however, fishing for the snappers is a way of life.
- There are several different varieties and are a favourite of sport fishermen in those areas.
- The suggestion is that instead of fish, the fisherman himself has been caught in the net.
- However, the vast majority of bait fishermen will use fresh fish roe wrapped round the hook or sometimes put in small bags.
- After more than one hour both the fish and the fishermen were tired.
- There seemed to be no sense at all in importing supplies our own fishermen should have been catching.
- As I gazed in the direction of his usual path, I saw fishermen bring back their catch of the day.
2(amateur)pescador masculinepescadora feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.