In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(professional)pesca feminine(industry/fleet/vessel/port) pesquerofishing grounds — pesquerías feminine Peru Southern Cone
- Instead of providing a person with fish for that day's food, teach him fishing so that he could be self-reliant.
- Some activities - mountain-bike hire, scuba diving and deep-sea fishing - are not included.
- The fact that humans are killing about 20 to 30 million sharks a year through commercial sport and fishing is also food for thought.
- Deep-sea fishing is one of a number of non-sailing activities available.
- Last weekend saw a lot of fishing activity due to the great weather we've been having of late.
- Since then, sport fishing has accounted for thousands of fish per year.
- Over the last year, there's been a surge in illegal fishing activity in Australia's northern waters.
- But the Spanish government continues to insist that its fishing fleet can fish in Irish water from January.
- Another fishing boat picked up three bodies and a lone female survivor.
- Prizes include rods and reels, fishing tackles kits, fishing tackle packs, picnic baskets, a marine radio and aerial, plus a lot more.
- The researchers conducted more than 60 interviews covering various aspects of fishing activities.
- A fourth element involves restricting fishing activity in one or more lakes.
- A good flood on Monday should bring in a lot more fish, and fishing should be good this week.
- They can fish in our waters but we can't fish in theirs, and the Mediterranean is teeming with fish while our fishing grounds are almost depleted.
- Incidentally, second to skydiving, fishing is his favourite sport.
- As fishing was a communal activity, with boats crewed by different families, it was necessary to mark the fish so that its owner could be identified once the fish was landed on the beach.
- The trips are described as the ideal way to get an introduction to the sport of fishing and meeting like minded people.
- It is there, she realises, to poach fish before the licensed fishing crews set out.
- For too long your family's presence in Scotland has been coloured by Balmoral and the late summer season with its fishing, robust outdoor activities and Highland games.
- Those that did fish experienced very poor fishing and had only a slight improvement in the evening.
2(amateur)pesca feminine(club/season/trip) de pescathe fishing's better further downstream — la pesca es mejor río abajo
- [ S ]no fishing — prohibido pescar
- (search for information) to be on a fishing expedition — tantear el terreno
- to go on a fishing expedition — ir de pesca
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.