In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(professional)pesca feminine(port/fleet/vessel/industry) masculine pesquerofishing grounds — pesquerías Peru Southern Cone
- A good flood on Monday should bring in a lot more fish, and fishing should be good this week.
- Those that did fish experienced very poor fishing and had only a slight improvement in the evening.
- The researchers conducted more than 60 interviews covering various aspects of fishing activities.
- But the Spanish government continues to insist that its fishing fleet can fish in Irish water from January.
- Another fishing boat picked up three bodies and a lone female survivor.
- The trips are described as the ideal way to get an introduction to the sport of fishing and meeting like minded people.
- Since then, sport fishing has accounted for thousands of fish per year.
- They can fish in our waters but we can't fish in theirs, and the Mediterranean is teeming with fish while our fishing grounds are almost depleted.
- Last weekend saw a lot of fishing activity due to the great weather we've been having of late.
- It is there, she realises, to poach fish before the licensed fishing crews set out.
- Instead of providing a person with fish for that day's food, teach him fishing so that he could be self-reliant.
- Over the last year, there's been a surge in illegal fishing activity in Australia's northern waters.
- As fishing was a communal activity, with boats crewed by different families, it was necessary to mark the fish so that its owner could be identified once the fish was landed on the beach.
- A fourth element involves restricting fishing activity in one or more lakes.
- Prizes include rods and reels, fishing tackles kits, fishing tackle packs, picnic baskets, a marine radio and aerial, plus a lot more.
- The fact that humans are killing about 20 to 30 million sharks a year through commercial sport and fishing is also food for thought.
- Incidentally, second to skydiving, fishing is his favourite sport.
- Deep-sea fishing is one of a number of non-sailing activities available.
- For too long your family's presence in Scotland has been coloured by Balmoral and the late summer season with its fishing, robust outdoor activities and Highland games.
- Some activities - mountain-bike hire, scuba diving and deep-sea fishing - are not included.
2(search for information, amateur)pesca feminine(club/season/trip) de pescathe fishing's better further downstream — la pesca es mejor río abajo
- no fishing — prohibido pescar
- (search for information) to be on a fishing expedition — (test reaction) tantear el terreno
- to go on a fishing expedition — ir de pesca
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.