In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1puñetazos masculine informaltortazos masculine informal
- However, when we step through the turnstiles, it's war - minus the shooting of course and largely minus any fisticuffs too these days.
- As the two No 9s flailed about on the floor, the two packs closed for a bout of ugly and prolonged fisticuffs, a scenario that was repeated throughout the match.
- Failure always leads to arguments, fisticuffs and grudging reconciliation.
- Now, you might think this is where the fisticuffs come in.
- Some men still believe in fisticuffs as a method of settling grudges.
- Every dispute from fisticuffs in the street to a battle in a grand war needs its goodies and baddies.
- Car owners have also become so touchy and fussy about the parking space that any encroachment leads to heated arguments and bouts of fisticuffs.
- Here's a report on the fisticuffs, which will continue with appeals.
- It was the banter between them before the starting bell, not the fisticuffs that followed, that was the fight's main attraction.
- A bout of fisticuffs ensues, and with a misdirected right hook, the villain finds himself stuck in the shock therapy equipment.
- It is no longer reasonable to expect those who keep a ‘cool head’ when the fisticuffs start to restore normality in such circumstances.
- Taken to the nth degree this mentality could lead to a shift towards the sort of behaviour seen in ice hockey, in which known combatants get the fisticuffs out of the way before the game even starts.
- Every effort was also made to discern the identity of all the major suspects or individuals who were involved in any kind of fisticuffs.
- Then, according to Ken anyway, Jerry ‘ran like a woman out of the club’ to escape potential fisticuffs.
- The incident began with words in a bar, with an alleged insult to some women, then a confrontation with fisticuffs and bottles being thrown.
- Petty fisticuffs aside, the idea of a battle of the sexes in the snooker arena would add an extra dimension.
- There were fisticuffs and threats, and my backpack was gently returned to me as we exited the discotheque - apparently barred for our dirty dancing.
- You just have to put up with a bit of shouting and the occasional fisticuffs.
- Amid the fisticuffs there's greatness, as we film junkies know.
- Sometimes, it takes good old-fashioned fisticuffs to settle the matter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.