In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(proceed/sleep/work) de manera irregular
- I had thought earlier that I might be able to get to sleep, but after 2 hours of trying fitfully, I am giving in.
- I had also been sleeping fitfully and dreaming about the race all night.
- But they remain startlingly original, if only fitfully funny.
- The engine didn't so much pull as tug fitfully at the wheels.
- He is blessed as an autobiographer with an outstandingly strange and only fitfully happy childhood.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.