In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They realized that the store needed to evolve to meet the needs of modern consumers, and so in 1986, Chesterton's hometown five-and-dime metamorphosed into a craft store.
- ‘We lost most of our merchandise in the fire, and there was little that we could save,’ he said, adding that he had a five-and-dime store prior to the fire.
- The ceramics and glassware made for these changing fashions in eating and drinking were available in a wide range of prices and could be purchased in department stores or the newly popular five-and-dime stores.
- The building, at 151-153 Main Street, was formerly a five-and-dime store.
- Sam Walton reinvented logistics, turning a five-and-dime into Wal-Mart Stores Inc, which draws almost 140 million shoppers a week.
- The bailiff was dressed in dark navy blue, his only marks of authority a silver badge pinned above his left breast and a pair of handcuffs, both of which looked like they could have been purchased at a five-and-dime.
- The building they chose was originally a five-and-dime store and most recently a jewelry wholesaler.
- Noted children's book author/artist Demi became curious about Buddhism at the age of 3, when she bought a statue of Buddha at a five-and-dime store.
- ‘After I opened, the theater, the hardware store, the five-and-dime, and the restaurant all closed,’ she says.
- One of my nicest memories was going to the five-and-dime with my mother.
- ‘I want to be a bus conductor and open my own five-and-dime store with my savings,’ he said.
- She had stopped in at the five-and-dime to get cleaning supplies.
- ‘This was at his original five-and-dime store on the square,’ he recalls.
- For example, why not stop in at the five-and-dime and buy regular items - colorful string, or a Plexiglas box - and ask your artists to create something holiday-themed in their own individual way?
- In addition, ‘a lot of five-and-dime stores have wooden or plastic massage devices - they're easy to keep in your office.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.