In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(in building)elemento de la instalación, como los artefactos del baño, cocina etc
- There's still floor covering, lighting fixtures, and furniture to arrive.
- The list of items bought included lawn equipment, bathroom fixtures, hardware and even a refrigerator.
- He says home renovations are one of the strongest sectors in the economy and people are buying new floor coverings, kitchen cabinets and light fixtures.
- Other products include lighting fixtures and wall panels.
- There was a ceiling fan and light fixture, along with a tall floor lamp next to each bunk bed.
- Kitchen cabinets, light fixtures and switches had been removed and thrown on the floor, and a window had been knocked out.
- Remove the plumbing fixtures, faucet, handles, shower diverter, drain lever, and water valves.
- Most of the antique fixtures - including light fittings, window and door frames - went missing.
- The not-so-simple situation is where your wall switch controls a light fixture.
- Images of furniture, fixtures, and decorations were fired at me one after another, without really giving me time to appreciate anything.
- Furniture-mounted uprights or fixtures built into hard partitions or casework are other possibilities.
- Insert the electrical cable into the fixture's junction box and fasten it with a cable clamp.
- During assembly, the glass is first positioned in a fixture with several sensors around the sunroof.
- My home-based design business sells store fixtures and related equipment to the retailers we work with.
- I quickly discovered that a piebald pigeon has taken up residence atop the light fixture on the balcony.
- Cathedral ceilings, antique light fixtures and furniture that looked as though it had come straight from the twenties.
- The spa's assets include about $75,000 worth of furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
- The elongated light fixtures neatly built into the ceiling illuminated the corridors providing vision for the patrolling guard units.
- Hunting trophies line the walls and cartwheel light fixtures hang from the ceiling, illuminating the tables and paved stone floor.
- There are materials right from paints, door handles, PVC doors, kitchen tiles and electrical fixtures that team up to make a graceful home.
1.2(permanent feature)parte integrante feminineshe's become a permanent fixture here — ya forma parte del mobiliario humorous
- I'll know the outcome in a few weeks time as to whether I'm a permanent fixture in the office or not.
- Basil's percussion playing is almost a permanent fixture in the mall and he sticks to his task of earning an honest dollar with zeal.
- A permanent fixture in the right back role, Fleming had a deserved testimonial awarded by his club at the start of this season.
- She was his world and he was going to make her a permanent fixture in his life.
- My derelict caravan was a permanent fixture in their boggy field.
- It looks like the web and SMS are now a permanent fixture in the election media mix.
- It is part of our national heritage and is a permanent fixture in our lives and that is not going to change anytime soon.
- Now, although he is horrified of the sight of this jar, I'm betting that it becomes a permanent fixture in the house.
- He didn't foresee, though, that the farce would become a permanent fixture in our cultural life.
- All the components of one of the best gardening gifts I have ever received are now a permanent fixture in my household.
- The match was postponed in February, but it is hoped the fixture will go on to become a permanent fixture in the local footballing calendar for years to come.
- A permanent fixture in his life for decades, Gerald, now 74, has been building sheds since he was a child.
- We have established ourselves as a fixture in the world of women's basketball.
- Foreign tourists are now almost a permanent fixture in front of the Secretariat gates.
- That was because she didn't want him to get to close, and wanted to remind herself that he was not a permanent fixture in her life.
- A bronze statue slightly taller than the man himself has now been unveiled, and will stand as a permanent fixture in Epworth.
- Should he continue in this fashion then he will become a permanent fixture in the South African team.
- Sherlock Holmes is a permanent fixture in popular culture, and he is particularly in fashion at the moment.
- Russell should be a permanent fixture in the top 25 of the Order of Merit, but he is treading water.
- The image of them, seemed like it was a permanent fixture in my brain.
2BritishSportencuentro masculinethe concert became an annual fixture — el concierto se convirtió en un acontecimiento anual
- He wrote to the leading clubs of the time putting forward a proposal that they should combine to arrange home and away fixtures each season - and thus the seeds of The Football League were sown.
- And he wants the Nationwide League to follow suit, even though clubs outside the top flight have a busier fixture list.
- It's another huge week of fixtures in the Championship.
- If those clubs are out of Europe by then it would be no surprise to see a hastily arranged tour of the Far East after Christmas to fill in the gaps in the fixture list.
- The midweek snow had a devastating effect on the fixture list.
- He described the victory in the opening fixture of the group stage as a stepping stone for the season.
- Why not arrange the fixture for a Wednesday at 7.30 pm and give everyone decent notice.
- I congratulate you on your excellent coverage of not only national events but also international fixtures such as F - 1 racing.
- Premiership footballers complain of fatigue as early as October with their crammed fixture lists.
- He bemoaned the way the 2003 fixtures had been arranged with the big clubs playing each other in the first five weeks, saying it would take away the mid-season excitement.
- They have scored four times in their three friendly fixtures.
- His extra fitness will help him cope with the demands of the nearest rugby league gets to a fixture pile-up as they play twice more this week.
- I wanted them to take an overall look at the fixture list and make some changes to help us.
- The spokesman said the number of international matches and Cup game fixtures had delayed the close of this year's league season.
- The dates for the said fixtures will be arranged for the end of June or early July.
- The fixture list of dates and times is posted in the clubhouse.
- Looking at the remaining fixture list, I've come up with a blueprint for survival and worked out where the points are going to come from.
- Still, look a little further down the fixture list and one or two tricky tasks spring forth.
- I cannot take the risk of relying on a player who has not displayed anything essential during the pre-season fixtures and the championship games in his club.
- July 16 was one of the first dates he circled on his calendar when this season's fixture list came out.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.