In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The only way was to send in Marines with rifles and grenades and flame-throwers.
- Well, basically, it will be like the flame-thrower and the hand grenade being used all at once.
- OK, you'll find the usual array of grenade launchers, flame-throwers, rifles, and handguns, etc.
- Furthermore, the infantry acquired more of its own firepower - principally through light machine guns and grenades but also through the use of flame-throwers and mobile trench mortars.
- You can upgrade your already present cannon or purchase new weapon types including plasma bolts, lasers, flame-throwers and grenades.
- Machine-guns, gas, high explosives, flame-throwers and air attacks slaughtered the lines of men marching out of the trenches.
- The pounding of the cannon increased; there was the rat-tat-tatting of machine guns, and from somewhere came the menacing pocketa-pocketa-pocketa of the new flame-throwers.
- The UK has exported flame-throwers, machine-guns, grenades, smoke - bombs and mortars to the Gulf state.
- The fear of fire was such that any man seen carrying a flame-thrower was an immediate target and was generally protected by a party of riflemen.
- Every one of these men had a story to tell of terror by day and by night, of ceaseless attacks with flame-throwers, tanks and self propelling guns firing high explosive and armour-piercing shells.
- There are rocket launchers, grenade launchers, flame-throwers, laserguns, cannons, bombs, shotguns, chainsaws, pistols, revolvers, and machine guns all at Stone's disposal.
- You can provoke them, you can alarm them, you can put rockets under them and turn flame-throwers on them.
- Will the helicopter gunships and the marines suddenly descend Colombia-style on the newly planted heroin fields and turn on the flame-throwers?
- The mothers believe the Russian security forces used flame-throwers and tanks in the fighting that broke out when the siege ended.
- They've been throwing rocks and flame-throwers!
- Just before contact close-range weapons were deployed, and some of these have been found on the wrecks: swivel guns firing scatter-shot; flame-throwers mounted on poles; and fire-pots.
- Each time the man fired his flame-thrower, its counter-thrust pushed him further out of the lupine captain's reach.
- Several of the Guardians had range weapons like bazookas or flame-throwers.
- He admires ‘the flexible use of artillery in support of storm troops capable of providing their own fire-power with light machines guns, flame-throwers, grenades and mortars’.
- They also have two flame-throwers, as well as the intruder defense and gas systems of the ship.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.