In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1compañero de apartamento masculinecompañera de apartamento femininecompañero de piso masculine Spaincompañera de piso feminine Spain
- However, we're moving into a place together as friends and flatmates, for the purpose of improving our lives and lifestyles.
- He disappeared just weeks before the attack was due to happen, telling flatmates he was going to London ‘to see a doctor’.
- His flatmate helped to design it while another friend helped him to find the commercial deals that made the website profitable.
- Meanwhile, in Fred's flat, he woke up when he saw his two flatmates, James and Billy, staring at him.
- Now everyone knows who I have a ‘crush’ on, as my flatmates demanded his friends give me his number.
- If you're on incredibly intimate terms with your flatmates, get them to check for you.
- Six weeks later he gets engaged to the flatmate of a friend of mine.
- I met my wife when I had a flat at Glasgow's waterfront and needed a flatmate to share.
- I then noticed my flatmate and a whole bunch of his friends pour into the pub.
- I must find a way to get more money, a flatmate and a new flat.
- The other morning one of my male flatmates was walking around the flat post-shower with just a towel around his waist.
- Only one person out of my seven flatmates could cook, and he had spent his schooldays at boarding school.
- It didn't help that our flat was often party central, and my flatmates drank pretty much daily.
- She has also failed to contact flatmates in London.
- Serve with salad, crusty bread and Chardonnay to two appreciative flatmates.
- Consider carefully whether these people are friends, or mere flatmates and acquaintances.
- My old flatmate and good friend Phil was Australian, so he wanted to take in a few shows at the Festival.
- The enthusiastic support of friends and flatmates falls on deaf ears.
- Next morning, the flatmates have to laugh at me because I'm sitting in my dressing gown, staring into space with the goofiest grin you can imagine.
- If I had better willpower, I could leave it in my fridge for my flatmate / friends.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.