In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I'm more of a flautist than a pianist, but I still love to play when I get the chance.
- Kate, 16, was a promising musician who dreamt of becoming a professional flautist.
- He rapidly acquired a reputation as an accomplished flautist, whilst at the same time producing his first important compositions.
- All young whistlers, flautists, fiddlers and other musicians are invited to play a few tunes in what should be an informal and uncompetitive setting.
- ‘I am, as you know, always reluctant if I have to write for an instrument I can't stand’ was Mozart's excuse to his father for not fulfilling a lucrative commission for an amateur flautist.
- Bands of that era also featured great pianists, bassists, trumpeters, flautists, violinists, and occasional saxophonists.
- The shapers can also record and change the music of other players, such as flautists, clarinettists and oboists.
- He received his early musical education from his father, a flautist and viola player, and was later taught by Attwood, Crotch, and others.
- A cello player and a flautist play some unobtrusive melody near the back of the living room; hands are shaken while knowing looks are exchanged.
- A troupe of Chippenham flautists took their musical talents to twin town La Fleche in France.
- Professional woodwind players such as flautists, clarinettists, oboists are in general more skilled in this regard than violinists, pianists and accordion players.
- Not just a gifted flautist and sax player but one damn fine stilt performer, Greg can regularly be found plying his trade in the metro when he's got no other work.
- The orchestra comprised two vocalists, a violinist, a flautist, a sitar player, and a percussionist.
- Will she say that the flautist is playing pianissimo instead of piano?
- The flautist had four different flutes, from a piccolo to a bass flute with a curly bell at the end.
- Apart from out-of-tune instruments, late flautists was what Yvette hated the most.
- Mozart's First and Second Flute Concertos stem from a commission from an amateur flautist.
- More ambitious compositions include a male flautist and a seated harper.
- There are plenty of male flautists and female trumpet players, and members teach each other, encouraging inclusion and participation.
- I was a really good rugby union player and a decent flautist - yeah, I know, a bit odd.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.