In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He said his wife was delirious and speaking in Flemish.
- Languages of source texts include not only French and Italian, Latin and Greek, but Arabic, Dutch, Flemish, Hebrew, Portuguese, Slavonian, Spanish, Turkish, and Welsh.
- He hasn't picked up French or Flemish despite living in Belgium for three years.
- In response to increasing protests from the Flemish population, Flemish was accepted as an equal official language to French in 1922.
- How does translation into English affect the meaning of documents originally in Flemish or Dutch or German or Latin?
- Dutch is also the official language in Flandres, Belgium, where it is called Flemish.
- Another is that the enemy consisted not only of the French but of native speakers of Flemish who supported the French crown.
- Moving clockwise round France, other regional tongues included Flemish, Alsatian, Franco-Provençal, Corsican, Catalan, Basque, Gascon, and Breton.
- Ordinarily, a specific request is made, such as inquiring if a text in Polish could be translated into Flemish, for example.
- My father went directly from being a buck private in basic training to Master Sergeant in an intelligence position because he could speak French, Flemish, and German.
- English is widely spoken although the official Belgian languages are French and Flemish, a Dutch-related language similar to Afrikaans.
- Also, in the case of German, you'll find yourself able to understand and be understood in Dutch and Flemish, as well as possibly a little Danish & (less so) other Scandinavian languages.
- Those residing in northern Belgium speak Flemish, which is derived from Dutch and German.
- The one great handicap for Dutch in the south was that the majority of the Dutch-speaking population spoke a dialect of the language, in other words, a form of Flemish.
- Several million people in Languedoc spoke variants of Occitan; Flemish was spoken in the north-east; German in Lorraine.
- I tell you, when I hear all these guys chatting away in Flemish interspersed with the names of various models of firearm, then I have some hope of understanding the Flemish.
- The closest relatives to this language are Flemish, Dutch, and the Plattdeutsch dialects still spoken Germany's Rhineland.
- Prince Philippe, during a press conference to mark the birth spoke French and fluent Flemish.
- The language spoken in Flanders is Dutch, which is commonly called Flemish.
- The site appears in a choice of languages - French, German, Dutch and Flemish - as well as English, representing countries were Portakabin has major outposts.
2(people)the Flemish — los flamencos
- He thinks little of the Italians and Flemish and still less of the Germans.
- The left section comprised mainly of Bretons, the central section were Norman under Willliam's command and the right section was made up of the French and Flemish.
- There is no such thing as plagiarism in politics and this is where the experience of the Basques, Catalans and Flemish over 25 years may be helpful.
- And it is true of most non-immigrant national minorities, like the Québécois, Flemish, or Catalans.
- But, then, the thought quickly follows, as perhaps it did for the Flemish: Who are we to be smug and judgmental?
- The incidence of public violent crime is comparatively low among the Flemish.
- Edward's response was to join forces with the Flemish in 1337 and this was the principal cause of the war.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.