In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On the Hursley Estate, near Winchester, one man was pumping floodwater out of the field next to his garden to stop it reaching his home.
- Fallen trees, combined with floodwater, blocked many roads making access to Milnthorpe, Windermere and Ambleside and Hawkshead impossible for brief periods.
- The pumping station alongside the Foss Barrier, which pumps water out of the Foss into the Ouse to prevent floodwater backing up the Foss basin, was unable to cope with the extra volume of water and the river rose several feet.
- She feared the new homes would leave fewer places for floodwater to drain and increase the chances of their homes flooding.
- He said the land was not suitable for building, being so close to the floodplain, and said the area regularly became waterlogged and that floodwater came up to his house.
- In the past her home has occasionally had eight inches of floodwater in its garden, but on Sunday night the front of the property had more than 8ft of floodwater and at the rear, which is lower, the water was more than 10 ft.
- A parish council clerk said the council was planning to hold a meeting with the Environment Agency to discuss problems of floodwater backing up drains in the village.
- No sensible person would drink the water; however it is important for people who have been in contact with floodwater to wash their hands and use basic hygiene.
- Every time it rains we get some floodwater in the back garden as there is no proper drainage.
- We had blue skies and warm sunshine - along with floodwater lapping the riverbanks, and the coldest winter since 1963 expected.
- In springtime, the tule marshes trapped floodwaters, and for miners and early travelers they were yet another obstacle to movement.
- Meanwhile, an environmental health spokeswoman has advised residents to take maximum care when returning home as floodwater is likely to be contaminated.
- The store delivers newspapers and magazines to homes and farms in a 20-mile radius and when Elvington was encircled by floodwater in 2000 carried on making its deliveries by boat.
- Experts warned residents to expect more than 10 inches of rain and several feet of floodwater capable of picking up whole vehicles and carrying them away, or over-running millions of homes.
- The floodwater was more than knee deep and you could not see where you were going much of the time.
- Of particular interest was the fact that Clifton Ings can hold six million cubic metres of floodwater, and when allowed to flood, the river level drops by eight inches.
- Officers were called out twice in two days to rescue people trapped in deep floodwater on the Staverton-Holt road on Monday, despite warning signs blocking the road.
- The floodwater has cost an entire harvest for the farmers affected but the floods have also destroyed farming infrastructure and left the soil covered in silt washed down from the surrounding mountains.
- Elsewhere in Wiltshire, flood warnings were in place in Melksham and drivers were disrupted by floodwater in Lacock.
- The floodwater has left his business devastated, with a water mark more than a foot high still visible yesterday lunchtime.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.