In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lámpara de pie feminine
- We haven't checked into prices for the electrical and drywall work, but we were wondering if a floor lamp or two would also be a cost effective and attractive alternative.
- In terms of function, this room could be improved with the addition of another reading light, perhaps a floor lamp standing between the sofa and the chair.
- There was a wooden crate at the end of the bed, and a floor lamp with five different bulbs that you could control where the light shined near the head of the bed.
- There was a ceiling fan and light fixture, along with a tall floor lamp next to each bunk bed.
- A large sofa was next to the door, with a floor lamp on the corner.
- Baum also paints flat, solid semi-abstract shapes that suggest foliage, rocks, a floor lamp or tall studio windows with rain running down the outside.
- A bulbless floor lamp painted yellow sits on a pink bucket beside the table.
- It was a hotel, dark except for the light from an open elevator and a floor lamp by one couch.
- A large, ornate desk dominated the little office, lit by a black floor lamp.
- So preoccupied was she that she failed to notice a small floor lamp and ran smack into it, books scattering everywhere.
- There are new curtains and a floor lamp along with new sofa pillows to accent the updated covers on the chair and sofa.
- Jessie sat down on the couch, and turned on the floor lamp.
- She'd set up her inflatable mattress just by the short hall, and moved the floor lamp over next to it in case she had any late-night reading.
- The cigarette, and the floor lamp near the desk, were the only light that could be seen in the office.
- Liz screams, grabbing my head and cradling it as I collide with a bookshelf on my way down, upsetting an armchair, a floor lamp, and a serving tray filled with crumpets.
- In Lanny's living room, Sugar has her own dog-sized, fully-upholstered sofa, complete with her own floor lamp.
- Jackson was saying goodnight and switching off his floor lamp by the time I was already drifting off into my heavy sleep.
- My parents had friends who would drive around town on garbage day, looking at what people left by the curb, pulling over to throw a chair or an old floor lamp into their trunk.
- A basic floor lamp, or directional lamp that can allow light to be shaded upon a wall or ceiling, can draw attention to any desired area or emphasize ceiling height.
- Bits of intricately cut paper define a pair of dogs, a floor lamp, even the stripes of the man's pants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.