In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1abrillantador para el suelo masculineabrillantador para el piso masculine Latin America
- I remember going to visit an old lady, the neighbor of one of my aunts, and finding a small apartment that smelled of floor polish, where each little object, even the smallest, was valued.
- Sudan 1 is a red dye normally used as a colouring in solvents, oils, waxes, petrol, and shoe and floor polish.
- My wife succinctly described it as a cross between floor polish and urine.
- Although investigations are continuing, police say the fire could have been caused by white spirits that leaked during the production of floor polish.
- The scents of smoke, fried food, spilled liquor and floor polish combined into a unique aroma that permeated the building.
- Phenol, a suspected cancer-causing agent, is found in floor polish and in many disinfectants.
- It was the floor polish which I smelled somewhere which I cannot now remember which is funny as the smell itself brought back many details about a place I used to visit with my parents in the 70s.
- The factory manager said the company would be launching a new range of products which include floor polish and detergent paste.
- There is a particular smell, a compound, I think, of floor polish and burnt egg, which I shall forever associate with boarding school.
- It was exactly the same smell as there used to be in the ante-room to our Biology lab at middle school, a hint of floor polish with overtones of formaldehyde.
- Their preliminary conclusion is that the fire and subsequent explosion may have started when white spirits spilled onto the floor near a gas burner, used for heating chemicals in the production of floor polish.
- Other products which may contain Sudan 1 include solvents, oils, waxes, petrol and shoe and floor polish.
- The picture vanished, replaced by an advert for floor polish.
- Nothing, but nothing - no image, no taste, no scent of cabbage and floor polish - can whisk you back like the popular music from the time when popular music was written just for you.
- Asphalt is the main material used for building roads, and waxes are used in such products as floor polish and to coat milk cartons.
- Both had stupendously good design on the boxes, which was a welcome relief from the unremittingly banal nature of most modern cigarette packaging, which seem to aim for the visual ingenuity of floor polish containers.
- Hospitals and nursing homes smelt strongly of ether or chloroform which was used for anaesthetics, of disinfectant, or of floor polish.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.