In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(fibrous mass)pelusa femininecadarzo masculine
- I saw a child who was albino, the hair like floss, the eyes with points of pink in them that reached up and grabbed my soul.
2(for embroidery)hilo de seda (de bordar) masculine
- Made with floss silk on khadi, phulkari is practiced by very few in the State today.
- If you are handy with a needle and embroidery floss, do the same thing using your needlework skills.
- Lovingly stitched from black embroidery floss onto large squares of black cotton, the figures are represented as vaguely discernible silhouettes that emphasize simple lines and bold shapes.
- Spun silk floss is used for the filling and the cover is pure Habotai silk.
- No creepy crawlies, just silks, furs, flosses, feathers, wood, metal and plastic on a hook.
- Transmitters were attached in 2001 using a figure-eight loop harness made of lightweight cotton embroidery floss.
- This wasn't so bad… at least the carpet wasn't pink, she thought as she showed the girls how to braid the colorful floss.
- The embroidery floss of my cross-stitched past now makes its home among my bookbinding materials.
- I'll be blending three colors of floss in each knot to match the blocks.
- Hand-stitch the leaf to a blue square using embroidery floss.
- If you have trouble finding cording in the correct color, consider making your own from embroidery floss or perle cotton, which is readily available in a wide color range.
- Use felt scraps, embroidery floss, beads and other scrap materials to finish the finger puppets.
- This is a fluorescent floss silk and certainly stands out in coloured water.
- The birds are worked in floss silk using a variety of flat stitches.
- Unloop the button and use matching floss or thread to wrap around the braid at the mark.
- The dress itself was a beautiful creation, black and pink, latest fashion, covered in embroidery floss, beads and other items that came straight out of a friendship bracelet kit at the mannequin's feet.
- ‘You only need a piece of evenweave fabric, some embroidery floss and a pair of scissors to start,’ Huang said.
- Details are embroidered using various colours of embroidery floss.
- You have a hoop, needle, iron-on transfers and skeins of embroidery floss.
- If you are handy with a needle and embroidery floss, create a cross-stitch sampler featuring those words.
3US informal(pretentious display)ostentación feminine
4dental flosshilo dental masculineseda dental feminine
1limpiarse los dientes con hilo dentallimpiarse los dientes con seda dental
1limpiar con hilo dentallimpiar con seda dental
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.