In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of plant)floración feminine
- The results of analysis of variance in numbers of ovules and pollen grains with position along the flowering shoot are shown in Table 2.
- Behind the house is a border like a theatre set, its foreground dashed with red, yellow and blue of flowering bushes against a backdrop of a hundred greens.
- The dawn service was always an occasion of soft dignity, with prayers and singing beneath the flowering trees.
- There are a great many flowering bushes such as the distinctively Australian banksias, and red-tailed skinks are often seen sunning themselves on the rocks.
- Dozens of unkempt flowering bushes sprawled everywhere, unattended for as long as I could remember.
- We're on a misty riverbank, with lush, flowering trees and towering storybook castles in the background.
- Prune flowering trees in spring, after blooming, to correct unsightly problems.
- If one gets away from the avenues and visits the largest city park called Leisure Valley, it has an Arcadian beauty of clusters of flowering trees.
- Males will defend feeding areas around flowering trees.
- There are many varieties of flowering shrubs and trees and walking paths around the lake.
- Jim sat down under a flowering tree in a patch of tiny white blossoms and faced the shimmering waters of the river.
- A new leaf forms on the adaxial side of a pre-existing leaf and also on the abaxial side of a leaf on flowering shoots.
- Flower buds develop in leaf nodes in the upper part of the flowering shoot.
- Finishing the last window, she peered through it to watch the red gleam of the sun glance over the flowering trees.
- The lawned front garden has a cobblelock driveway and a multitude of flowering shrubs.
- It was tracked down at last and turned out to be a female, who on the last morning paid a visit to the flowering bushes beneath the balcony.
- Herbivorous reptiles the size of rhinos were hunted through forests of tree ferns and flowering trees by saber-toothed predators.
- However, unprotected plants were smaller and had fewer flowering heads.
- For each plant, we recorded the number of vegetative and flowering shoots.
- The gardens are magnificent, overflowing with tropical blooms and huge flowering trees.
2(of culture, art)florecimiento masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.