In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The excited donor will emit fluorescence, leading to a decrease of efficiency.
- By mixing different dyes, the colour of the fluorescence can be selected and hence a screen can be built up from loops of the fibres.
- Any fluorescence under ultraviolet light may also provide clues to the identity and status of a gemstone.
- The fluorescence is not visible because the background was subtracted in each spectrum.
- The cellular genes are treated with fluorescence and literally light up the gene dots on the chip.
- As pollen grains and pollen tubes emitted very strong fluorescence, the pathways of growing pollen tubes could be easily observed.
- This fluorescence is visible even when the paper screen is at a distance of two metres from the apparatus.
- This is because fluorescence at this wavelength is strongly absorbed by chlorophyll within the overlying cells.
- When illuminated with violet light, the tumour emits pink fluorescence that is detected by a highly sensitive camera.
- My pupils contracted painfully from the relentless fluorescence of the lights above.
- When a beam strikes the card, the material produces fluorescence in the visible spectrum.
- A laboratory technician checked urine for ultraviolet fluorescence indicating the presence of riboflavin.
- The uralolite exhibits faint green fluorescence in shortwave ultraviolet radiation.
- This is consistent with the weak dityrosine fluorescence observed under UV light.
- The greenish fluorescence seen under the light is due to an ectothrix infection of hairs, in which fungal spores form a sheath on the outside of the hair.
- The emitted fluorescence light from the sample surface was collected through a quartz flow cell.
- The reflected fluorescence was detected via photomultipliers.
- Our own observations showed that fluorescence was visible throughout the cytoplasm.
- Protoplasts showing bright fluorescence were counted as viable.
- The fluorescence intensity emitted by the chloroplasts is dependent on the amount of light absorbed by them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.