In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One primer of the pair was tagged with a fluorescent dye phosphoramidite.
- Both fluorescent substances bound to the plaques.
- The researchers chose the jellyfish gene for a green fluorescent protein that other researchers had used to create glowing green eyes in houseflies and some other insects.
- There are eccentric people, who spend hours trying to capture the colors produced by fluorescent minerals under ultraviolet radiation.
- We felt that we could couple this platform to fluorescent dyes and other optically active substances, making it feasible to analyze drug uptake and efficacy by optical techniques.
- In scintillation counting, a fluorescent material absorbs the energy of the photon and emits a new photon as a flash of light (the scintillation) in response.
- Under the black light, the fluorescent ink glows!
- If you decide to ‘go fish,’ consider fluorescent paint and black lights, perhaps, or a collaboration with the science department.
- Some fluorescent materials, under the appropriate conditions, will also phosphoresce.
- Positioned next to it is another glass plate coated with a fluorescent substance.
- Since they are induced by light, they occur during the transition of the fluorescent protein through the laser spot.
- First, however, Pieribone and his colleagues are searching global coral reefs for new fluorescent proteins, ones that better shine through bones and muscle tissue.
- Many diamonds are fluorescent and phosphorescent under ultraviolet radiation.
- She said nothing for a moment, merely staring at the glowing fluorescent crystal on the ceiling.
- The basins repeatedly filled with water, spiked with fluorescent pigment, which glowed a toxic green under the black Light, then emptied, in a slow, inexorable rhythm.
- Becquerel in Paris wondered whether naturally fluorescent or phosphorescent substances might also emit X-rays.
- This leads to an accumulation of fluorescent proteins absorbing blue light and thereby appearing yellow.
- In nature, the gene cues a jellyfish to make a bright-green fluorescent protein.
- After fascinating physicists for over a decade, fluorescent semiconductor nanocrystals are finally fulfilling their promise in the biology lab.
- They are made visible primarily by black light on fluorescent paint that is strategically applied to sets, props and various parts of bodies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.