In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of UK police)brigada móvil femininebrigada volante feminine
- In the midst of the chaos a flying squad of plainclothes cops rode their scooters wildly into the crowd, hitting a number of marchers.
- It will be family members first, of course, because in a worst-case scenario endless flying squads of health professionals simply will not be available.
- Raiders loaded the digger onto the back of a truck at Elbut Lane in Birtle - little realising that the flying squad would soon be hot in on their trail.
- Yes, of course we have to have the antiterrorist branch, organised crime branch, flying squad and our central delivery squads, specifically the murder squads.
- Police in conjunction with the flying squad also recovered six motor vehicles, suspected to have been stolen from different points in Lusaka recently either at gunpoint or whilst parked.
- The municipal workers union has taken umbrage at the allegations and has vowed to take up cudgels on behalf of their comrades in the flying squads.
- Unfortunately, the member opened himself up by referring to his own so-called flying squads policy.
- The provisional liquidator announced that flying squads would maintain a check of all unfinished buildings to prevent illegal possession.
- The ultras suddenly surfaced at Lak Chowk and opened fire from close range on the flying squad of the Maisuma police station.
- I think the French police have a culinary flying squad that swoop on amateur cooks and destroy cheap and nasty ingredients.
- ‘At the heart of this motion is a demand for a flying squad service,’ Mr. Blaney said.
- A flying squad grant for $5,000 from the Canada Council allows the company the freedom to bring in specialist consultants for two-play seasons.
- Late one evening, the obstetric registrar asked me if I would like to accompany him on a flying squad call; a parturient in a remote farmhouse some 18 miles away had a retained placenta.
- The flying squad section of Scotland Yard, annoyed at recent cut backs to the police budget have decided to take matters into their own hands.
- We are concerned that a flying squad of mobile maintenance workers is going to be set up, instead of having people based on individual rigs.
- Do we want a flying squad created to follow up on tips?
- The fact is that it's not for the flying squad to determine his mental state.
- The workers have been dogging the Prime Minister and his minister during the campaign, with flying squads of uniformed workers gatecrashing media events.
- Stasi flying squads swept through the country.
- He saw that ‘three members of the flying squad were there, but were doing nothing to assist‘.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.