In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Instead, the investigator turned out to be a grave young man attired in a three-piece suit with Edwardian collar and gold watch fob.
- He carried it now, attached to the fob of his watch.
- Women favored these watch chatelaines while men preferred fobs by which to pull the watch from the pocket.
- The jewelry included watch fobs, shirt studs, earrings, brooches, pins, bracelets, and crucifixes, carved with appropriate images of oak leaves and acorns.
- We bloggers are not sketching evil cackling capitalists with top hats and watch fobs.
- He pressed the crown of the handsome - and expensive - watch attached to the fob and squinted at the golden hands sweeping about its painted ivory face.
- Its fob chain, stretched across the workingman's waistcoat, became a new symbol of respectability.
- It needed a lot of work on the mechanism (it'd stopped winding) and a new loop made for a fob chain.
- He always wore a dark blue pinstriped suit, waistcoat with a gold fob, a red carnation, a trilby, and an umbrella.
- Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go press my wing-collar shirt and see if my new fob chain for my grandfather's watch fits my waistcoat.
- The trinkets were attached to the exposed end of the fob.
- It was a silver fob, about six inches long, with a key ring at one end.
- Courtwright's hammer snagged on Short's watch fob chain.
- In New York in 1890, the latest pocket watch and fob chain could carry seals the wearer could use to demonstrate their place in society.
- Furthermore, he said he never could wear a pocket watch and fob - fashionable at the time - because they got in the way of his arm.
- Then he fiddled with his watch fob, and without looking up said, ‘And our other matter was dealt with satisfactorily?’
- There, stepping from his car in the shadow of the castle, is Christopher Lee, still imperious at 82 with his gold fob and frock coat.
2also fob pocketClothingbolsillito del chaleco masculine
- When worn by men, the watch was tucked into the fob pocket.
transitive verbfobbed, fobbing
1f. a. b.
- free on board
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.