In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(central point)centro masculineto be the focus of attention — ser el centro de atención
- to become a focus for resentment — convertirse en un foco de resentimiento
- Hence, the character of these variables is one central focus of our current research into OS projects.
- The probability for such an event occurring is only significant at the plane of focus, where photon flux is the highest.
- With respect to the definition of business purpose and business mission, there is only one such focus, one starting point.
- The gentleman moved his focus to the intersection between the main and back halls that led to the gardens.
- Her entire focus was concentrated on the small object which rested at the exact center of the room, her one and only focal point.
- Why has religion been such a central preoccupation and focus of debate in political science over the last 20 years?
- The use of collinear beam geometry facilitates the alignment of the overlap of the two foci and ensures high image quality.
- I don't value a more male focus above more female focus.
- The central and overriding focus of this project is dealing with racism face-to-face.
- Their focus was always upon the general rather than the particular.
- Yet, an authentic transgenerational focus radiating from a cultural lens has been lacking.
- Underrepresented middle-school children are the focus of a new optics outreach program.
- The focus vanished and the blaster returned to room temperature.
- Angus has composed the motifs in defined coloured areas with no central focus.
- While Zippy has the attention span of a goldfish, his wife has the focus of an electron microscope.
- Breman's central focus is on the working poor at the bottom of Gujarat's society.
- Once you pinpoint your focus, it's time to do more homework about the industries and companies in which you want to find work.
- As a result, the current focus for tunable lasers is on circuit-switched applications.
- The case story is often the immediate or central focus of the consultation.
- They primarily felt that education is a necessary and central focus for building a strong nation.
1.2masculine centromasculine epicentro
- Likewise, the securing of ownership of Hearts has been the focus of interest in the Edinburgh club.
- Another reason can be given for the differing focus of Jewish interest in biblical theology.
- Using the pain in both wrists as a focus, he concentrated his distaste directly on the man before him.
- We believe our evaluation to be rigorously designed, with a defined focus and clear objectives.
- It's pretty hard to focus on issues beyond oneself, if the primary focus is the next notch on the bed frame.
- Creating awareness of other cultures was an important focus of this project.
- He concentrated on finding his focus and ignoring everything else as the voice bombarded him with words.
- The relationship between spirituality and medicine has been the focus of considerable interest in recent years.
- But combine it with a programme that lacks a clear focus and Cork's year in the cultural spotlight is already looking shaky.
- Let me focus on Islam in particular, since it is so much the focus of current events and thinking.
- Once you have a clear focus, gather the right team around you to get the job done.
- We focus on parentage because it is the primary focus of published literature and it is the easiest level of ancestry to understand.
- But if it keeps a clear focus it might achieve a way forward for our embattled province.
- This result strongly agrees with the upward migration of seismic foci in the volcanic edifice, which has been found to precede recent flank eruptions.
- It is clear that New Zealand needs new leadership and a new focus.
- Focus on the other festivities and don't make food the focus of the evening.
- The geographic point directly above the focus is called the earthquake epicenter.
- Frequent shifts in the proposed focus of the fund suggest considerable contention behind the scenes.
- The RFU's ‘Impact’ strategy will be the focus of all activity to increase participation.
- It's easiest to focus on hobbies and favorite interests, although food can also be the focus of the basket.
- We keep our focus by concentrating on efforts on the goods and services we are strongest in.
- It was disappointing to see that the focus of her letter concentrated on the negative aspects and did not paint the full picture.
1.3(of disease)foco masculine
- Multiple foci of infection, several millimeters in diameter, were seen in many organs.
- There was extensive embolization to the brain and multiple foci of Aspergillus infection in kidneys and adrenal glands.
- An identifiable focus of primary infection should also be addressed when possible.
- In addition, a microscopic focus of transitional cell carcinoma was seen adjacent to the main tumor.
- The macroscopically apparent thrombosed vessels in case 3 contained tumor emboli and multiple foci of infarction.
2.1(clear visual definition)foco masculineto be in focus — estar enfocado
- to be out of focus — estar desenfocado
- to bring / get sth into focus — enfocar algo
- let's get our intentions into focus — definamos / precisemos claramente nuestras intenciones
- to come into focus — entrar en foco
- my true feelings are gradually coming into focus — empiezo a ver con claridad lo que realmente siento
- his life lacks focus — no tiene un norte en su vida
- The microscope has a motorized focus, allowing a minimum step resolution of 25 nm.
- These lenses adjust their focus with a patient's eye muscles to give them seamless near or distance vision.
- The focus can be adjusted slightly in order to sharpen up different parts of the image corresponding to objects at different depths in the scene.
- Katsukoii slowly turned a knob, which indicated that she was adjusting the focus.
- He adjusts the focus of the Carl Zeiss 120 mm macro lens, which allows him to work very close up.
- He adjusted the focus of the lamp and watched Clark's face contort.
- Focus on the subject and keep your finger depressed on the focus lock.
- Focusing is similar to a traditional roof prism binocular with the right ocular adjustable and a center focus knob.
- Focus on the subject and use the focus lock facility of your camera.
2.2(attention)atención femininemedia focus has been on … — la atención de la prensa se ha centrado en …
3Mathematics Physicsfoco masculine
1(camera/eyes/instrument) enfocarto focus on sth/sb — centrarse en algo/algn
- his eyes were unable to focus on the small print — no podía fijar la vista en la letra pequeña
- the spotlight focused on the singer — el reflector enfocó al cantante
- Well, he discovered, in the elliptical function, that the Sun was located at one of the two foci of the relevant ellipse.
- The catenary is the locus of the focus of a parabola rolling along a straight line.
- A feed system is placed with its phase center at the focus of the parabola.
- The circumcircle of a triangle formed by three tangents to a parabola, passes through the focus of the parabola.
- The focus and directrix of a parabola were considered by Pappus.
2to focus on sth/sb — centrarse en algo/algn
1(adjust focus of)(telescope/camera) enfocarto focus sth on sth/sb
- she focused her binoculars on the yacht — enfocó el yate con los prismáticos
2(concentrate)concentrarto focus sth ( on sth) — concentrar algo ( en algo)
- I can't focus my mind on my work — no me puedo concentrar en el trabajo
- I focused attention on the economic problems — centré la atención en los problemas económicos
- all eyes were focused on her — todas las miradas estaban puestas en ella
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.