In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1also folks plural
1.1informal (people)gente femininesome folk(s) are never satisfied — hay gente que nunca se queda conforme
- young/city folk(s) — gente joven/de la ciudad
- it was full of old folk(s) — estaba lleno de viejos
- you folks — vosotros
- hi folks! — hola ¿qué tal?
- I suppose it also had to do with the fact that my parents were messy folk, something of which I was deeply ashamed.
- I might be wrong but folk of my generation are probably Apple's prime audience.
- The film doesn't even get released until November, so we're in for the long-haul, folks.
- Mark this day on your calendar, folks, because it is a rare occasion indeed.
- As you know, he got himself into a whole lot of trouble with folks in New York City.
- Many folks up here have a sense of pride in their city or town and welcome filmmakers.
- Mixing with the fan base and common folk has its good and bad sides.
- I think we've located another point in our musical journey here, folks.
- The Soul of Man Under Socialism, folks, looks a lot better than it does under ten feet of sewage-filled water.
- But these young folk in the suburbs are in general more consumers than critics when it comes to American capitalism.
- If you want real, on the ground reporting, turn to the British and European stations, folks.
- Many young folk want to be fighter pilots when they grow up.
- His job takes him all round the old folk's homes in Lancashire entertaining residents.
- Who'd have guessed folks living this close to Edina would be so friendly after dark?
- A lot of invaluable literature in the languages of the common folk has remained outside recognised literary boundaries.
- That's as outrageous as it got, folks, and she didn't quite carry it off.
- All these young folk don't know about Ky the con artist.
- It's not too late to research and save for your own retirement, folks.
- There's a point where it doesn't make sense to make a corporation any bigger, folks.
- Those friendly folks at Fringe Theatre Adventures are holding on to Bilbo for one extra night.
- I want to see those folks who live in the area out there giving it a try.
- It's a modern-day fairy tale, folks, because, you see, they did get on the telly after all.
- For most folks, it seems easier just to live with the problem than try to fix it.
- There was a general feeling amongst folk who hadn't been faced with this situation before; they were stunned.
- This is the last Webdiary for the year, folks, so thanks to all of you who wrote and read this year.
- Many of the folk at Greenways Residential Home, Salisbury Road, are housebound or do not like to go out on trips.
- A fair amount of the traditional old machete gardening was in order - it's more fun than it looks, folks!
- So it is just not rest and relaxation on a holiday, folks, you can combine business and pleasure.
- Spooky psychic powers aside, folks, that's why I believe that Gordon Smith is the real deal.
- So roll up for your tax cut, folks, and pencil in a trip to the ballot box this year.
- There will be happy nostalgic memories for the many folk who frequented that popular venue in their youth having now advanced a few years.
- To tell the truth, folks, there are so many debates running in parallel here that I'm inclined to give up the ghost.
- The family day is all the more special for folks who live in separation.
- Take a stroll through some city centres with these folks over the next few days if you have time.
- We only go around once on this earth, folks, so we'd better get it right the first time.
- This might be a little tricky for them, folks, but don't worry because I have a strong feeling that they'll do it!
- See what you miss when you don't actually listen closely to the words of songs, folks?
- The little hardback books will be in the post as soon as possible, folks.
- They are not public figures but ordinary folk, ‘people like you’.
- Those of us who have lived on the edge have had a lot of folks come and go in our lives.
1.2folks pluralfeminine familia US informalmasculine padresmasculine viejos informal
- My folks never took my instruments away or forbade me to play a gig.
- Now I understand that my folks must have saved me from death hundreds of times without even thinking twice about it.
- Help your friends move, invite your folks to live with you, go out of your way to help someone with their homework, and so on.
2.1(specific group, profession)media folk — gente de los medios de comunicación feminine
2.2Anthropologypueblo masculine(art/legend/medicine) popular(dancing) folklórico(dancing) tradicionalfolk museum — museo de tradiciones locales masculine
- A visitor from Nashville rounds off a season of top folk and soul in Haworth this winter and spring.
- For fans of real, heartfelt music that's mingled with soul, folk, pop/rock and blues this is a truly impressive disc.
- The crowd booed and jeered at the Newport folk festival in 1965.
- This is not traditional Christian rock, Christian folk or Christian anything.
- How vital is the live folk scene in the UK at the moment?
- Their music is a mixture of Eastern European folk, gypsy, techno and American jazz.
- In the end it sounds like a South American folk tune.
- His music is a constantly shifting amalgam: Rock and roll, funk, rap, blues, folk, and soul all contribute to his songwriting.
- She plays steel, slide and acoustic guitar, mandolin and body percussion - her music crossing boundaries through folk, country and reggae.
- They are undoubtedly the fastest rising star on the UK folk scene.
- They'd played together at various folk festivals and gigs.
- Susan bought the CD of a Gypsy folk band we heard play.
- ‘Come on Eileen’ was a brilliant fusion of '80s pop, Celtic folk, and blue-eyed soul.
- His music includes songs and tunes from a wide range of music traditions, including folk, blues, reggae, cajun and klezmer.
- Casey's voice is distinctive and his style combines folk and soul similar to the Reef and Gomez spectrum of songwriting.
- Woody Guthrie was a hero to a generation of folk musicians, Bob Dylan among them.
- Expect to hear it in the future at your favourite coffeehouse or folk fest.
- As with any folk fest, much of the magic will happen during the workshops.
- We had all this exposure, and we did all the major folk fests.
- Off The Rails will also be playing rock, reggae, jazz, folk, samba, blues and world music-influenced songs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.