In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(adherent)seguidor masculineseguidora feminineJung and his followers — Jung y sus discípulos / seguidores
- my son is an avid football follower — mi hijo es un apasionado del fútbol
- Leaders who do not look after the interests of their followers are not only unethical but ineffective.
- More than three-quarters of Muslims living in Britain say that they are devout followers of Islam.
- "I had many wonderful nights here in this venue, " she told her loyal followers.
- Malaysian police have arrested 21 suspected followers of a religious sect called the Sky Kingdom.
- The status of ritual among Western followers of Tibetan Buddhism is, however, more in question.
- In theory it would seem like a good choice, and with enough dedicated followers the plan seems feasible.
- True followers of Christ need have no fear of God's wrath.
- He says he has urged his followers to oppose segregation currently reigning in the city.
- Yet the Chinese Embassy in Canberra adamantly denies any harassment of followers of the sect in Australia.
- He became a loyal follower of Gandhi, whose defiant campaigns of non-cooperation he supported.
- The Buddha was originally a wandering teacher who attracted followers through his personal charisma.
- In order to be inconspicuous, many followers of such religions meet in private.
- Later that day, however, she gave him the money and became a devoted follower.
- Most of Wednesday's victims were followers of the young cleric and his message was unequivocal.
- Some of the rules should be of interest only to followers of the Hebrew religion.
- In the birthplace of Christianity, indigenous followers of Christ have become a rare commodity.
- The initial reaction from governing elites and their media camp followers was disbelief.
- And it is not discrimination at any level against the followers of other faiths.
- A devout follower of Christ, Cora cannot understand or accept Addie's lack of religious observance.
- The true followers of Islam are our brothers and sisters in this struggle.
2archaic(courtier, servant)vasallo masculinevasalla feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.