In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(adherent)seguidor masculineseguidora feminineJung and his followers — Jung y sus discípulos / seguidores
- my son is an avid football follower — mi hijo es un apasionado del fútbol
- The true followers of Islam are our brothers and sisters in this struggle.
- Leaders who do not look after the interests of their followers are not only unethical but ineffective.
- In order to be inconspicuous, many followers of such religions meet in private.
- And it is not discrimination at any level against the followers of other faiths.
- Some of the rules should be of interest only to followers of the Hebrew religion.
- More than three-quarters of Muslims living in Britain say that they are devout followers of Islam.
- "I had many wonderful nights here in this venue, " she told her loyal followers.
- Malaysian police have arrested 21 suspected followers of a religious sect called the Sky Kingdom.
- He became a loyal follower of Gandhi, whose defiant campaigns of non-cooperation he supported.
- The status of ritual among Western followers of Tibetan Buddhism is, however, more in question.
- In the birthplace of Christianity, indigenous followers of Christ have become a rare commodity.
- True followers of Christ need have no fear of God's wrath.
- In theory it would seem like a good choice, and with enough dedicated followers the plan seems feasible.
- The Buddha was originally a wandering teacher who attracted followers through his personal charisma.
- Yet the Chinese Embassy in Canberra adamantly denies any harassment of followers of the sect in Australia.
- Later that day, however, she gave him the money and became a devoted follower.
- Most of Wednesday's victims were followers of the young cleric and his message was unequivocal.
- A devout follower of Christ, Cora cannot understand or accept Addie's lack of religious observance.
- He says he has urged his followers to oppose segregation currently reigning in the city.
- The initial reaction from governing elites and their media camp followers was disbelief.
2archaic(courtier, servant)vasallo masculinevasalla feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.