In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine punto de apoyothe climber lost his foothold — al escalador se le fue el pie
- to get a foothold — afirmar el pie en un punto de apoyo
- to get / gain a foothold — afianzarse
- it's difficult to get / gain a foothold in the Japanese market — es difícil introducirse en el mercado japonés
- the greens gained a foothold in the electoral system — los verdes se hicieron con un espacio en el sistema electoral
- Regaining a foothold in international psychology was a hard-won achievement, to be sure.
- Something has crossed our lives so that we are about to lose foothold in the public world of common sense.
- And it's given them a foothold in the game, after 15 minutes in which they were run ragged.
- For most actors, being identified with a genre helps maintain a foot-hold in a tough industry.
- This cannibal killer has already secured a foothold in the South East - and scientists believe it could spread quickly.
- There's nothing immediate here for people struggling to get a foothold on the property ladder.
- Still, Sweeney feels confident that the changes under way in Boston are gaining a firm foothold.
- Deutsche Bank has been trying without success to get a firm foothold in the market.
- In the days following the D-Day landings, Allied troops carved a tenuous foothold on the coast of Normandy.
- Respect has now got a strong foothold in east London, where the labour movement started off.
- Cable firms took full advantage of BT's slow start and established a strong foothold.
- Analysts say Golkar boasts the most qualified candidates and has a strong foothold throughout Indonesia.
- Existing designer labels will be promoted and provided with an opportunity to gain footholds in global markets.
- You are bracing to maintain your foothold on your fitness center enrollment.
- Samsung's experience in handsets will doubtless help it gain a foothold in these markets.
- But it's found a foothold in the industry already.
- More encouragingly, having weathered the storm, the Minstermen set about establishing a foothold in the game.
- Regency Gates and Railings has now established a firm foothold in the commercial and domestic exterior homes market.
- MCI is attempting to regain its financial foothold after emerging from bankruptcy in April.
- How likely is it for evil to regain a foothold anywhere?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.