In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pavement)acera femininebanqueta feminine Mexicoandén masculine Central America Colombiavereda feminine Southern Cone Perumasculine caminomasculine sendero
- Because of poor policing visibility in rural areas considerable advantage has been taken with the increase of motorised Go-Ped scooters ridden by very young children on roads, footways and paths, clearly with parental consent.
- Colchester Council had a general policy of not gritting or salting pavements and footways.
- The main difficulty is the narrowness of the footways in relation to the number of pedestrians wanting to use them.
- There are also a lot of kids around there so we thought it would better to have a shared footway and cycleway.
- Nor would the recent debacle over the posts in the footway on Meeting House Lane, or the fact that the nearby pedestrian crossings were placed where people do not want or need them.
- The planning committee unanimously rejected the proposal on the grounds it would restrict access to the footway and could force pedestrians out into the roadway.
- The footway on Green Lane would also be widened to two metres, with paths on Front Street also widened in between the new signal stop lines.
- The condition of pavements and footways in England and Wales has deteriorated to the worst level since records began in 1977, an official report revealed.
- The footway will now be acceptable for pedestrians to use safely for five to ten years.
- City of York Council is to start work on the footway of Station Avenue - from the traffic lights to the city walls.
- Also included is a puffin crossing, footways and bus shelter at a cost of £70,000.
- These include more cycleways, footways, pedestrian crossings, junction improvements and traffic calming measures.
- A pedestrian footway will link the shop to the centre of Brighouse.
- Work began at the end of May to improve the zebra crossing and widen footways in Pickwick Road, Corsham, to make it safer for schoolchildren and shoppers.
- Children walking to school from the Dunch Lane and Roundponds area town must walk in the road when the footway in Dunch Lane comes to an end as they reach the Bath Road.
- Extra pedestrian crossings and ‘community areas’ with widened footways, trees and street furniture are also planned.
- Last Monday San Francisco civic leaders voted 8-2 to bar the use of Segways on footways and cyclepaths.
- Even if this unlikely scenario arises, park and ride would not work unless a dedicated bus lane was provided this would require the reallocation of pedestrian footways to road use, which directly contradicts Green Party policy.
- She said resurfacing work had been carried out on footways along side Jeffrey's Road and Mill Lane towards the end of last year, but within a week heavy rain had washed parts of the surface away.
- Lancashire County Council has moved to ease concerns over a barbed wire fence adjoining a public footway in Mount Lane.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.