In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The sobering presentation foreboded the future of Taiwan's relationship with the United States.
- Their return in a second blister pack of two miniatures forebodes devastation among enemy ranks!
- This is an ambitious but important security mechanism; however, inadequate military resources, fragile political institutions, and weak economies forebode great difficulty in getting started.
- Paper money had depreciated, and the conditions foreboded a crash.
- It forebodes a deeper commitment than we have seen evidence of in just the 10 episodes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.