In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of garage, hotel)patio delantero masculine
- The whole village should be clear of weeds within the next week or two with a huge effort made to clear gutters, forecourts of public buildings and other weedy sites.
- It has 160 square metres of living space and is accessed through high timber gates, with a cobble forecourt leading to the front door.
- Two steel umbrellas are suspended from a jutting frame to shade the forecourt and side patio.
- To the front, a gravel forecourt provides plenty of off-street parking.
- A recess in the long face of the building forms a small forecourt with a mobile sculpture by artist Susumu Shingo.
- At the front, a gravel forecourt provides parking for three cars.
- Petrol stations with large forecourts and public houses with car parks attached are now so valuable that the profit to be derived from flogging them off to builders will far exceed the profit to be derived from continuing to trade.
- This will be achieved through two interrelated commissions: the design of general purpose buildings, and the reconfiguration and refurbishment of campus forecourts and ceremonial space.
- There is a petrol forecourt at the front and a retail unit at the rear.
- Sandstone paving covering a forecourt folds up into elevations, locking the building into the ground.
- Everyone in the community is asked to show their support by clearing their own forecourts and surrounding areas of weeds and litter.
- An appeal was made to everyone in the village to keep the paving in front of shops, forecourts, gardens, pathways etc free of litter.
- Outside the cobblelock forecourt to the front of the house is bordered by plants and shrubs and has plenty of space for offstreet parking.
- It has solid oak flooring, a fireplace with a coal-effect gas fire and a large bay window looking onto the forecourt at the front of the house.
- It currently houses three adjoining buildings comprising a forecourt, garage, two former retail units and an apartment.
- At the front, a cobblelock forecourt allows for parking for three cars.
- To the front is a large forecourt with herbaceous borders and colourful flowerbeds.
- The little forecourt in front of the whitewashed building is a sea of crinoline and tails as the actors pause between takes.
- Both buildings are entered from a new forecourt and parking area on the west side of the site.
- Outside there is a parking forecourt to the front and an enclosed rear garden laid out in lawn with a south-easterly aspect.
2Sportthe forecourt — el cuadro de saque masculine
- To the front there is an expansive lawn with a tarmac tennis court as well as a forecourt.
- He is still not totally comfortable when moving into the forecourt and is rarely seen volleying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.