In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If I put my hand really close to my face, I can squish the land between my forefinger and my thumb.
- Reaching down, I clasped both zippers with my thumbs and forefingers and pulled them until they met.
- He brought his hands together and intertwined the back six fingers with each other, putting the thumbs and forefingers into a rectangle.
- After I sat down, I was checking out the tablecloth and feeling it between my left thumb and forefingers, where it hung down over the edge about eight inches.
- She looked down at her left hand, the forefinger and thumb tattooed with gold, in a design much like a Signature.
- I pointed a forefinger to my forehead, then drew my finger across my lips, as he had.
- Spend some time massaging the forefinger and thumb of each hand - this will improve your stamina and vitality.
- Grip the club with pressure in the last three fingers of each hand, but with no pressure in the thumbs and forefingers.
- For example, he cannot oppose his right forefinger and thumb and can only, with difficulty, touch his mouth with his hand.
- He gently took her chin between his forefinger and his thumb and raised it so she could look him in the eyes.
- Get someone to show you how to eat like the Moroccans using your thumb, two forefingers, and a piece of fresh-baked flatbread.
- They touch the knuckle of the forefinger on their right hand to their foreheads in salute.
- He was sitting down on a chair, elbows on his knees, his hands were clasped with his chin resting on his thumb and his forefingers extended, touching the tip of his nose.
- He holds up his hand, the little finger and the forefinger extended.
- Upon reaching the bottom position of triceps pushdowns, carefully shift pressure from the center of your palms to the crux of your thumbs and forefingers.
- Slowly they held their hands out but only with their forefinger and thumb extended.
- Disorderly adolescents made coarse gestures with their thumbs and forefingers.
- And scarily, just as I thought that, I felt myself being lifted out of my seat by a pair of lightly tanned, strong hands, with little black stars tattooed between the thumb and forefingers.
- Hold the floss taut between your thumbs and forefingers and gently guide a two-inch section between your teeth.
- He leaned back and sighed deeply, rubbing his temples with his forefingers and thumbs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.