In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1nombre (de pila) masculine
- I am particularly fascinated by the non-French spelling of his forename.
- The name Beer was mentioned several times, but the forename Israel was not among them.
- This case concerns a dispute with the child's forename, not his surname.
- In Ghana, as in Britain, there are surnames and forenames.
- If searching for a forename below try the abbreviation first, and if not successful use the full forename.
- The name is half real, half invention - an old family surname, subsumed to a middle name, it ultimately became a forename.
- Slaves did not have surnames, and lowborn women frequently were not even granted a forename.
- An analysis of the forenames of blood relatives is set out out here.
- Now people are enlightened to realise there is only a forename, middle name and a surname not a Christian name.
- Most correspondents conclude their letters with a forename or initials.
- The surname may ring a bell but the forename may not.
- This basic search will allow wildcards for single or multiple characters; also synonyms and abbreviations so that if you provide a full forename the system will return matching synonyms and abbreviations.
- With a Deed Poll, you can change your forenames, surname, add names, remove names or rearrange your existing names.
- Here are the origins of over a 100 forenames or first names which are found in Scotland today.
- Some recent English language textbooks give Le Chatelier's forename the more usual French spelling, ‘Henri’.
- Therefore, forenames (which are often more specific to language or region than surnames) were needed to identify some South Asian participants.
- Even Americans, with their predilection for absurd forenames, would stop short of dubbing a child De Sade.
- French Government responses have included laws stipulating which forenames are suitably French, and forbidding Muslim girls from wearing the hijab in school.
- The name badges will show the forename and family name, but not rank.
- Was it merely a coincidence that she had the same forename as CJ's daughter?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.