In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(approaching)(event) próximohis daughter's forthcoming wedding — la boda de su hija, que tendrá (or tendría etc.) lugar pronto / dentro de poco tiempo
- They insisted that Wales would appear prominently in their forthcoming yearbook of regional statistics.
- As a prelude to the book, Dr Mitra has compiled an audio CD of some of the works that will appear in the forthcoming book.
- However, this deadline has long since passed and no application appears to be forthcoming.
- Mike from Portumna was launched on the scene at the start of the year and this new song is a track from a forthcoming debut album release.
- The country has earmarked 115 million leva in energy aid for the forthcoming winter season.
- She will perform with Opera Ireland during their forthcoming spring season.
- Some of John Greening's poetry will be appearing in forthcoming issues of Quadrant.
- The past fortnight has continued the pattern, with his build-up to the forthcoming season about as smooth as an alpine pass.
- The FBI is currently investigating, and thus far no announcements appear forthcoming.
- The New Books Service is your source for the latest information on current and forthcoming Canadian books.
- And then I'll post something about the other forthcoming album I've been listening to.
- The club is looking for a cricket professional to play for the side during the forthcoming season.
- The Spice Girls will definitely not be appearing at the forthcoming Live 8 charity concert.
- He is expected to perform in the U.S. before the end of the year and a new album is forthcoming as well.
- Otherwise, Kelvin may want to use the opportunity to have fans sample some tracks from his forthcoming album.
- June was due to appear in the forthcoming production of ‘The Odd Couple’ in September.
- You can hear clips of the forthcoming album recorded on a mobile phone for the special ‘in the studio’ quality.
- We had played our rugby to gain the lead, and then, with one eye on the forthcoming cricket season, we had declared.
- Only members of the North Mayo Harriers will be permitted to ride with the club for the forthcoming season.
- The songs that will make up her forthcoming album, Today's Special, are subtle masterpieces.
1.2(about to appear)(record/article) de próxima aparición(film) a estrenarse próximamenteforthcoming books — ediciones en preparación
2(available)no explanation was forthcoming — no dieron (or dio etc.) ninguna explicación
- there is no help forthcoming from that source — por ese lado no cabe esperar ninguna ayuda
- I think there is no question that, over time, this information will be forthcoming.
- The approach is preliminary in nature and there can be no certainty that an offer will ultimately be forthcoming.
- I think that if the information was more forthcoming, more people would definitely act on it.
- The appellants had responded but in essence no information was forthcoming.
- The chairman promised funds would be made available but none were forthcoming.
- The only information forthcoming at the moment is the construction of 400 housing units at the vacant plot.
- Information was always forthcoming on the whereabouts of a fox before the hunt, or when the hounds lost their line.
- If credit was forthcoming, they were ready to borrow as much as someone was willing to lend.
- Paterson admitted he would face a dilemma if a formal offer from United was forthcoming in the next few days.
- Until, that is, all three threatened to resign on Monday evening if no better offer was forthcoming.
- There were no leads, no information forthcoming about Lucie's possible whereabouts.
- To this end we request your confirmation that the information requested will be forthcoming.
3(open, helpful)he was not very forthcoming — no estuvo muy comunicativo
- she was not a forthcoming witness — no fue de mucha ayuda como testigo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.