In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The fact that he is continuing with his work is certainly a testament to his spirit and to his fortitude.
- But with amazing resilience and fortitude the man and his players bounced back.
- Robyn had fought her illness so valiantly, amazing doctors and others with her fortitude over and over again.
- Her passing, after a long illness borne with true courage and fortitude, touched the hearts of all who knew her.
- She met an illness some years ago in a brave fashion which marked her down as woman of courage and fortitude.
- He didn't require miraculous surgery so much as mental fortitude and bottomless reserves of patience.
- Perhaps being war babies had given them interminable patience, fortitude and resilience.
- The people had to know another tale of courage and fortitude and love.
- He died peacefully after an illness borne with great fortitude and resolve.
- Past generations had much worse to deal with, but showed stoicism, forbearance and fortitude.
- We're experts at turning a noble fiasco into a story about fortitude and stoicism.
- He died peacefully after a short illness borne with characteristic courage and fortitude.
- Face obstacles and difficulties at work and at home with courage and fortitude.
- This post is therefore a severe test of that resolution and fortitude.
- He fought for a fair time, aware he had fortitude but neither real courage nor strength.
- Down the years she bore the injuries and scars of that tragic event with great fortitude and resolve.
- Publishing in research journals requires fortitude, resilience and persistence.
- Yet the grouping must find the same internal fortitude to learn from adversity as it has done in the past.
- Peter, who was aged 72, died following an illness borne with much courage and fortitude.
- These black periods must have been harrowing in the extreme, but were borne with great fortitude and courage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.