In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuatro masculinesix from ten leaves four — diez menos seis es igual a cuatro
- three fours are twelve — tres por cuatro (son) doce
- to count in fours — contar de cuatro en cuatro
- a five followed by two fours — un cinco seguido de dos cuatros
- on page four — en la página cuatro
- he's nearly four — tiene casi cuatro años
- at the age of four — a los cuatro años (de edad)
- it's nearly four — son casi las cuatro
- they are sold in fours — los venden de cuatro en cuatro
- the four of us/them — nosotros/ellos cuatro
- there were four of us/them — éramos/eran cuatro
- divide it into four — divídelo en cuatro
- On one road I met four brothers who were returning from carrying a woman to her relatives in a nearby village.
- At the start of this one, with Sutton banned, he started the first four.
- At the age of four and five, he would often race against good horses getting a stone or more of an advantage and more often that not he beat them.
- Can you tell that despite it being ten past four I haven't quite got round to eating breakfast yet?
- Sign-up in Shenanigans in Pairs please, and try to join with another pair to make a four.
- Frankly it's the only product out of the four we floated last week that you think has much merit.
- In an interview, Zhao said it took him a fortnight to produce the four portraits.
- The spirit of Andrew was epitomised in a story about him at the age of four.
- Symone said she was quite gifted at the age of four, but she had a cornea transplant and wore glasses.
- Chris Newman began to play the guitar at the age of four and at fourteen gave his first paid concert in a folk club.
- My twin brothers are four years younger than I and have known for several years that I am a Christian.
- They now have twelve points from their seven games, the same as Curry who also go through to the last four.
- The money, if given, would fund the building of a new classroom, catering for children aged from three to four.
- To supplement this income, Strakan is looking to buy three or four marketable products this year.
- Counting by fours is like counting by two except that every other count is skipped.
- If the match had kicked off at ten to four rather than three o'clock, we might have had a game on our hands at Ram Stadium.
- At the age of four, he went to a one-room nursery class attached to a private girls' school across the road from home.
- He is survived by his brother Paddy and four sisters in England, to whom we offer our sympathies.
- He said she had drunk the equivalent of four pints at the time of her death.
- She added he had been fascinated by mathematics from the age of four.
- A little bit of history was made last Sunday when no fewer than four Lydon brothers were on the team.
- At the age of four he was diagnosed as suffering from ‘severe and profound autism’.
- Something like that happened when I read that no persons under four years of age are allowed to take part.
- Born in Springfield, Ohio he grew up in a close-knit family with four brothers and sisters.
- The eldest of a family of eight, Karim has three brothers and four sisters, none of whom she had seen in that time.
- And now they know their opponents in the last four after City finished top of the other northern group.
- The league finishes off next week with a home game against New Ross and a win will see Clane finish in the top four.
- It was the insurance score his team needed and the final whistle confirmed their place in the last four.
- Here are four products that we plan to use to put money aside for our children in the years to come.
- In a sense, the four pieces are equivalent; the rotations simply interchange them.
- The sum of money is the equivalent of four or five month's wages for a fisherman in the area.
- Sally Beamish was born in London and could read and write music by the age of four.
- The interviewer then had to fill in a box giving the names of products one to four as given by the interviewee.
- He was the registrar of Dhaka University and I had two brothers and four sisters.
- Eighteen teams started the tournament and Hacketstown were good enough to be in the last four.
- All children from the surrounding areas are welcome, from ages one to four years.
- Padraig is as fast as they come and from the age of four has been consistently winning all over Ireland.
- She was introduced to the sport at the age of four by her parents Peter and Mary, who were members at Bothwell Castle.
- A total of fifteen salmon were caught by anglers ranging in age from four years to sixteen years.
- The four brothers and their wives are all well known for their deep love and care for the father.
- He was the youngest of four sisters and a brother, all of whom had left home by the time he was nine.
- Getting him to sit down at story time proved impossible but by the age of four he was reading newspapers.
- When he is told that he was adopted at the age of four, he realises that his spirit will not be at ease until he knows more about his parents.
- Children in the age group of four to 13 years could try their hands at drawing and painting.
- He arrived in Britain from Nigeria in 1965 at the age of four when his parents came to study and build a new life here.
- That's equivalent to four pence on income tax - wait till you see the peace dividend from ending this war.
- Born in Wurzburg, Germany, Stefan has studied the piano from the early age of four.
- All her four brothers have left for the United States and are unlikely to return.
- We are four brothers in my family, but my father had an argument with my oldest brother and threw him out.
- At half past four she was relieved by a twelve year old Alty Grammar lad.
- Manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline does not recommend giving the drug to children under the age of four.
- Portlaoise face a very difficult task if they are to advance to the final four in this year's Town Cup.
1cuatroit comes to four dollars exactly — son cuatro dólares justos
- one tablet four times a day — una pastilla cuatro veces al día
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.