In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cama con cuatro columnas, gen con dosel
- His bed was a small four-poster, with Elven designs in the poles.
- Face it: the four-poster or sleigh bed is a lot more inviting than the standard-issue metal frame with fake wood headboard that is found at many motels.
- None of the quilts are shaped or cut out at the foot to accommodate the posts on a four-poster bed.
- She lay on a four-poster bed with a canopy of shimmering gauze and silk.
- Beside the master bedroom, with its four-poster and chaise longue, is a charming Moroccan-style bathroom with green and terracotta tiles.
- The beds are four-posters, the mirrors venetian, the rugs Aubusson and every room is filled with beautiful objects.
- Hang your coat in the handcrafted armoire before stretching out on the four-poster with feather bed and comforter.
- Warming to the salvage game, Thomas and Rhodes created a marble floor from broken pieces of old washstands and crafted a four-poster bed from barley twists taken from a nearby shop.
- I saw that she had gotten rid of the four-poster, which was now substituted by a simple sleigh bed.
- I remind myself of this on each of the seven occasions I wake up, staring at the sprigged floral canopy of my four-poster bed, calculating how much longer I have to lie here.
- A four-poster bed with a slightly moth-eaten canopy lay in one corner, appearing as if it hadn't been used for many a night, and a table stood beside it.
- There was a guitar in a corner, across a four-poster bed with rosy mattresses and shapely pillows.
- Yet, as I sleepily stretched out to the corners of the four-poster bed, I wondered if I'd achieved the impossible.
- A magnificent four-poster bed stood in a corner and a rich comforter was draped over the bed.
- I am beckoned by comfortable chairs on the veranda, then by the four-poster bed, then by the hammock strung across the corner, but know that if I settle down I may never get up in time to dive.
- I hurried to my room and collapsed on the bed - a violet four-poster bed.
- On the bed - a marvelous four-poster - sat her backpack, the one she had been wearing when she saw the angel fall.
- It had a four-poster bed, a leather upholstered chair, and a chest of drawers with a large vanity mirror.
- The room was a soft, pale yellow color with a four-poster bed and a stunning canopy.
- An armoire stood between the door and the bedstead, an old four-poster crouching against the left wall, with no mattress and the canopy in tatters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.