In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(group)grupo de cuatro personaswe used to go out a lot as a foursome — salíamos mucho los cuatro/las dos parejas
- But the group's 25th anniversary has given the foursome an excuse to reunite, with the tour stopping in Atlantic City tomorrow and New Brunswick on June 28.
- In time, Jacob and Sarah fall in love, and the foursome becomes a family.
- The participants were placed in groups, in little communities called foursomes, but you knew you were alone.
- In an attempt to broaden their audience, the foursome is going after an older audience now.
- The babies, who had announced themselves much before delivery through a pre-natal diagnosis in the sixth month of pregnancy, are among rare foursomes who were not born prematurely.
- The fearless foursome will be making between 200 and 250 circuits of the track, each lasting around two minutes.
- The foursome made up a good but not elite squad sponsored by Stryker, the medical-products company.
- The General released the unhappy foursome from his gaze, and continued walking.
- The foursome were playing at a family function when the idea for a CD first arose.
- Such is the premise for Creative Director Bob Carney's evocative tale of taking golf vacations in foursomes and eightsomes.
- Even with the fearsome foursome, we didn't win any games.
- It wants us to become a threesome or a foursome or a whatever-some.
- The foursome downed four courses of Arcodoro's famous Sardinian food during the three-hour repast.
- All of the children's parents knew one another, they had grown up together, but the four kids never became a true foursome until they all met when they were five years old.
- The foursome all jumped up like four girls going to their prom.
- The duo is better known for their winning streak in the 1990s as part of the awesome foursome.
- The foursome will also attend a four day training camp at Coffs Harbour to fine tune team tactics prior to the championships.
- Having a social evening as a foursome is fine, but it's probably better to organise something at home.
- If you don't make any changes, your active foursome remains the same for the next day.
- Join the fabulous foursome and call the police.
2(in golf)foursome masculine
- Cejka and Jacquelin have a maximum four points so far and in the foursomes inflicted on Lee Westwood his first defeat of the competition.
- Padraig Harrington and Paul McGinley were again the lethal arrows in Montgomerie's quiver, beating Alex Cejka and Niclas Fasth in the afternoon foursomes, another win gained on the 18th hole.
- Having a good relationship with other players is crucial, particularly in foursomes and fourballs matches.
- After gaining only a half from three up with four to play in the first foursomes, Montgomerie and Langer were not to be denied in another tight finish.
- The Americans spent most of the morning leading in four of the five foursomes, but they won only two to tie the International team 8 ½ points apiece.
- The format for the three day competition is two foursomes and five singles and the other countries participating in the round robin series are England, Sweden and Wales.
- Martin said that while all foursomes have been filled for this year, there were still tickets available for the dinner that follows the day of golfing.
- The format and big-name foursomes soon had everybody at every club seeing that golf beauty is indeed only skin deep.
- But in this Presidents Cup, America won all five of the foursomes on Thursday and then Friday afternoon four of the other five.
- The format for the semi-finals will be match play - mixed foursomes in the morning and mixed fourballs in the afternoon.
- There are three types of matchplay used in the Ryder Cup - foursomes, four-balls and singles.
- The lesson of the golf at Bighorn may be the Ryder Cup warning that there is nothing more difficult than foursomes when your partner is playing a little better than you.
- Hinder triumphed two and one against the Ganton star as York, 8-4 down after the foursomes, made a great comeback by winning the top four singles.
- At one stage the US led in four of the six foursomes and were level in a fifth, but the wheels came off over the final three holes and the Internationals led 3 ½ - 2 ½ at the end of the day.
- With Liz Jones and Ann Robinson winning their Daily Mail foursomes Fulford boast all four teams in the regional stages of the national competitions.
- Local charity auctions almost always offer foursomes of golf at the best country clubs.
- European and English amateur champion Duggleby enjoyed an outstanding singles victory over Solheim Cup captain Dale Reid by four and three, and Reid suffered again in the foursomes, losing by a two-hole margin.
- The format this weekend is four foursomes and four four-balls on Friday and Saturday, then ten singles on Sunday.
- In the event, Donald was fairly steady in the foursomes, but he missed four putts from inside six feet.
- He won his singles three and two and then partnered Ganton GC's Fraser Kelley to win their foursomes five and four - the biggest margin of victory in the six matches.
3(in cards)juego para dos parejas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.