In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(animal)zorro masculinehe's a sly old fox — es un viejo zorro
- before noun fox cub — cachorro de zorro
- There are 36 species of Canidae, including dogs, wolves, coyotes, jackals and foxes.
- Eagle owls, the most powerful of strigid owls, can even handle larger mammalian prey such as foxes, young roe deer, and monkeys.
- Their predators include great horned owls, bobcats, cougars, coyotes, and foxes, so wariness is in their blood.
- Mammals such as weasels, foxes, stoats and especially roe deer can wander safely without the risk of being killed by traffic.
- The virus is carried by a number of wild animals, including coyotes, foxes, and some wolves.
- Introduced predators such as rats, cats, dogs, foxes and mongooses are thought to have been responsible for about half of island bird extinctions.
- There are 105 species of birds in the park and mammals ranging from Andean foxes to pumas that only rarely venture down from their mountain lairs.
- Coyotes, foxes, bears, mountain lions, and bobcats all prey on livestock.
- Domestic dogs and cats can pick up the infection if exposed to wild animals with the disease such as foxes, wolves, jackals, skunks, mongooses, raccoons and bats.
- He mentioned in passing that as a kid here he could tell the difference between the footprints of foxes, groundhogs and raccoons.
- All kinds of critters like to dine on poultry, including raccoons, skunks, opossums, weasels, foxes, coyotes, dogs and feral cats.
- Most wild cats are preyed upon as young cats by larger predators, such as foxes, wolves, other cats, and large birds of prey, such as owls and hawks.
- Voles are an important source of food for many predators, including snakes, hawks, owls, coyotes, weasels, foxes, mink and badgers.
- When raccoons, coatis, foxes, coyotes, skunks, or bears bit the models, they left tooth marks in the plasticine.
- Eagles, rattlesnakes, deer, pronghorn antelope, foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions roam the area.
- The most significant predators on red foxes are humans, who hunt foxes for their fur and kill them in large numbers as pests.
- Their chief predator is the mink, but while on land they also fall prey to foxes, coyotes and lynx as well as some of the larger avian predators.
- The other wild attractions in the park include nilgai, chausingha, chital, chinkara, wild boar, foxes and jackals.
- Bradford archaeologists are also studying other remains from the site at Lynford, including bones from woolly rhino, brown bears, horses, foxes and hyenas.
- The genus Dirofilaria includes various species that are natural parasites of dogs, cats, foxes and wild mammals.
2.1(fur)zorro masculine(collar/jacket) de zorrored/silver fox — zorro rojizo/plateado
- It will join that old fox stole I rescued from a charity shop.
1informal(perplex)confundirdejar perplejothe problem had him foxed — el problema lo tenía perplejo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.