In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Soon, in addition to jazz, ballet and tap, children may be begging for swing, jive, foxtrot and rumba lessons.
- The ballroom competition consists of the waltz, quickstep, slow foxtrot, Viennese waltz and tango.
- She employs around 20 teachers, teaching ballet, tap, foxtrot, waltz, tango, jive and hip hop.
- They enjoy completing crossword puzzles together and up until a couple of years ago were still doing the rumba, tango, waltz and foxtrot at the Town Hall.
- She expected tango (as still happens nowadays with every foreign tourist who has just arrived to Argentina), but these people dance foxtrot, jazz and waltzes.
- Some of the better dancers among the youngsters are experts not only in folk and traditional dances, but also in ballroom dances like foxtrot, quickstep, waltz and tango, to say nothing of Latin dances such as rumba, samba, jive and salsa.
- Five years ago, I used to teach dancing - waltz, foxtrot and jiving.
- A ballroom dancer was doing the foxtrot only days after major groundbreaking surgery to implant an artificial collar bone into his shoulder this month.
- He is credited with creating many of the standard steps still used today in the foxtrot and the rumba.
- I believe they are the youngest couple in the country capable of performing the foxtrot, quickstep, waltz and tango.
- The grandchildren of the original swing and ballroom dancers are now the ones demonstrating their niftily executed foxtrot or flamboyant lindy-hop routine.
- Yet she enjoys going to the hairdresser and dancing the foxtrot, and will be cooking her own Christmas dinner in her tiny kitchen.
- Each school can provide five pairs (plus one alternate) to dance in five different styles: swing, the tango, the rumba, the merengue, and the foxtrot.
- Feet have waltzed upon that floor, shuffled to the Charleston, stepped out to the foxtrot, twisted to rock 'n' roll, grooved to disco beats, pounded to punk and gently tapped beneath seats during musical productions on stage.
- In each section competitors were required to dance specific dance styles including the Viennese waltz, tango and foxtrot while maintaining poise, technical agility and an awareness of other competitors on the dance floor.
- Waltz, foxtrot, and quickstep were the popular ballroom dances.
- They had fun learning four traditional dances such as the foxtrot.
- The waltz, foxtrot, tango and quickstep are danced in rapid-fire succession in each ballroom round while salsa steps up the beat to let Latin competitors loosen up a little and go through the paces of the rhumba, samba and cha cha.
- The foxtrot is still danced every night of the week in hundreds of modern sequence dance clubs around the country, along with the waltz, quickstep, tango, rhumba, cha cha, jive, mambo, salsa, saunter, blues, swing and so on.
- She made it to the show's semi-finals with her professional dance partner, having learnt to dance the waltz, foxtrot, samba, rumba, jive and quickstep among others.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.