In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(like fox)(smell) zorruno(color) marrón rojizo
- Her skin was pale and unblemished like mine, and she had a nose like mine too - all foxy and pointy.
- Point to young rockers: they are not living in a mansion with a limo in the bedroom with gold-plated champagne spigots in the backseat Jacuzzi; nor do they have a stable of foxy groupies waiting in the van.
- The sweetest moments for a fighter are when time has given him the rounds to make him foxy and clever, but has not yet robbed him of the wherewithal to put it into to action.
- For example, the next time your loved one catches you eyeing a foxy babe, patiently explain that you're entitled to stare because in another dimension you and that person got married and had 12 kids.
- They had a female singer who also played the occasional keyboard line on a synth, a very foxy left-handed bass player (she was lovely!) and the guitarist chappy who I'd previously seen playing with another band.
- Oh yeah, and the instructor was pretty damn foxy too.
- Don't they just make you want to hop into a Porsche convertible, drive down to the beach, and enjoy a midnight stroll with a foxy lady?
- Well, the other morning I pulled into the parking lot at the Sovereign Centre (a local shopping centre), and as I was looking for a spot to park, I saw this foxy looking lady walking to her car.
- Will you please go tell Mara and that foxy chick you're with to come down for dinner?
- ‘I love the look - very foxy,’ said one young woman who could be described as rather foxy herself.
- Bringing more good news from Sweden, these foxy female 20-somethings have been playing since pre-pubescence, and this well-timed stateside debut hits girlie bands and Strokes mimers where it hurts.
- Tall, mature, single, blue-blooded aristocrat, seeks tall, mature foxy lady who loves dressing in furs.
- By night, he toils on his self-indulgent solo art film, obsessively documenting the minutiae of his life while the bigger picture-the growing distance between him and his foxy French lady friend Marlene-eludes him.
- However, there were a lot of very foxy male and female dancers, so it was a good enough experience.
- Like many photographers, he goes after kids, babies, foxy ladies, handsome men.
- The foxy temptress and swooning beauty of popular imagination was a violent pragmatist for whom death held no chill.
- He's insanely jealous of any man - the milkman, the dentist, even the teenage piano student he tutors - who encounters his foxy wife Zelda.
- Dressed in a foxy pink velvet cocktail dress, she looks and sounds overjoyed, obviously loving the enthusiastic homecoming atmosphere.
3US informal(sexy)(invariable adjective) sexy
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.