In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The disclosure of more details will let the public know that he really committed the offence with indisputable evidence and there were no elements of a frame-up or political conspiracy.
- He called the prosecution case against him a frame-up that is part of a government-inspired persecution stretching back decades.
- He denied the charges and accused the government of orchestrating a frame-up.
- Racist and anti-communist prejudice was the glue which kept these dirty frame-ups from crumbling.
- When he witnesses yet another murder being committed by his client, intimidation, kidnapping, and a vicious frame-up conspire to try to keep him from telling what he knows.
- Now that the frame-up of the Egyptian has fallen apart, the whole cover-up has also fallen apart.
- More stridently he asserted that the evidence of the State appeared to be ‘a frame-up.’
- Significantly, in the vast majority of these cases, the victims of police frame-up confessed rather than take their chances in the court system.
- A campaign against the frame-up was immediately launched by the International Labor Defense, the legal and defense arm of the US Communist Party.
- Almost from the outset, their arrest showed signs of being a frame-up.
- The accusations of sabotage are being viewed among workers as a crude frame-up attempt, aimed at creating conditions to sack the crew and bypass the court.
- But it did not occur to me that there could be a mistake, that he could be innocent, let alone the victim of a frame-up.
- If it was intended to become part of a frame-up, it was sloppily done.
- The case against the youth is a blatant frame-up.
- That the timing of the youths' arrests was politically motivated and the charges against them are a frame-up is underscored by the fact that the police concede that they have had the group under surveillance for months.
- So far we don't have sufficient evidence to decide whether he committed a crime or whether it was a frame-up or a political conspiracy.
- In a very significant departure from established law, the Act reverses the burden of proof, overturning a basic protection against police frame-up.
- When he disappears, and she eventually tries to find and help him, she too becomes enmeshed in the state frame-up against her husband.
- The three protested loudly that this was foul play and a shameless frame-up, but even if they can have all the words in the world to say, it was a waste of time in front of the well-scripted policemen.
- He and his family immediately claimed he was the victim of a frame-up by his in-laws, but the press reported that the police viewed this as highly unlikely.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.